Time Capsule overheats?

Reaction score
i have read reviews saying that this thing over heats, i was surprised to read that because i have an external and i has never had an over heating problem i can't believe apple would put out something inferior. any comments on that here from ppl who have used this?

also the wifi problems sounds strange, i only read about that here. i was thinking it would work similar to an apple tv, actually kind of hoping to use them together or at least access it through my computer and stream to the tv without having to hook up to the hard drive like i do know with my current external HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I have had no problems whatsoever with my TC and I am very happy with it. No overheating in my case. The wireless router feature works extremely well. I also use it to attach an external hd via usb and that works extremely well. I also use it with a wired switch to connect a computer and printer/scanner and thunderbolt display which works very well and then also a wired connection with a second computer and a second printer/scanner. Very happy. The wireless is fast and has a long range. The wired connection is fast. Also I use the TC for Time machine back ups both wired and wireless on more than one computer and it works great.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Posts moved to their own thread - please do not post a totally unrelated question to someone else's thread where they're seeking technical assistance.

Related to a TC overheating - I reckon that all depends on what you call overheating. I have a 1st gen TC which is now over 4 yrs old and have never had a single issue with it. I also have never walked over to where it sits and put my hand on it to see how warm the case happens to get. Nor do I really care as long as it keeps working.

Mine is used for TM backups from 3 computers along with being used in bridge mode from my router and run a 2nd wifi network on it.

OP
S
Reaction score
cool thanks, i really want the TC but i'm just worried its not going to work the way i expect it to. it seems, according to mixed reviews, that i might get a bad apple. but i guess if that happens i can just return it. cool thanks for the input. and sorry about derailing the other thread, i thought it might fit because it was also a technical issue with the same device.

also i would call overheating something around 100 degree F+ that could cause damage to itself. i have read some reviews where people were keeping their TC in a well ventilated area and it was running slow and getting really hot. i don't want to have to keep it in a ventilated area because i like to keep my external tucked away and have a tidy look, also i'm thinking about having a surveillance system archive on it since it is wifi i would keep it hidden well and probably never even touch it or see it and not have anyone know about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Don't worry about those reviews. It is an excellent piece of equipment.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd say it depends on what you mean by "tucked away".

If you mean inside an enclosed cabinet with no ventilation - I wouldn't keep any running piece of electronics in that situation. You're only asking for a shortened life span.

OP
S
Reaction score
probably more like inside of a wall, but yea that's basically what i mean. that stinks, i don't have any problem keeping my current HD somewhere with no ventilation and it doesn't get hot. guess it would be more practical to just get some wireless usb extension.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you know it doesn't get hot? You mean the outside of the case doesn't get hot? That has no bearing on and does not equate to the hard drive itself not getting hot.

OP
S
Reaction score
i mean it produces heat and all, but it doesn't get above about 80 degree F (estimating from touch) and its several years old and a lot of the time i have had it running for long periods of time stuffed under cloths or in a tight closed drawer.
i would really prefer the TC because it has 2TBs and i think my current HD has around 600gb, so it would really maximize what i can do with it. i suppose if i am worried about heat i could keep a wireless thermometer with it, i could probably even get something wifi that i could check from my computer/ipod as long as i am somewhere connect to wifi.
would it be possible to turn off the TC remotely?

OP
S
Reaction score
anyway i went out and got it today, i am wondering what the best way is to access multiple itunes libraries from my laptop without the files being copied onto my computer so i can play music and movies to my apple tv.

also i don't have the internet modem in my place, its in my neighbors place. so i have network for my TC that has no internet, so i have to switch between networks. this is something i can deal with, but i am just wondering if my TC could possible pick up the internet wifi and then either run off my neighbor network like my other devices do or maybe pick up internet off one network and send it out through its own network.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty sure you need a wired connection to the router that has the internet connection.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok thats not a big deal, what about the itunes library? how to i run my library off my external drive without having it copy to my computer?

i have done this before on another computer but i forget how to do that. at least that way i can copy music through my computer from my TC/HD (right now i have my old HD plugged into my TC, so i am wondering if i can have a library on my TC and HD) to my ipod and then have my ipod switch between networks to play music/movies to my apple tv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure I am correct about needing that wired connection - may be possible to get connection if you set up correctly.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok maybe i'll just call apple when i get a chance. so anyone know how to keep my itunes library off my computer? everytime i play songs from my external harddrive it gets copied to my computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.