Syncing 2 ipod touchs with same computer

Reaction score
I am in need of some help. I know what i am trying to do but I do not know how to do it. I now have a ipod touch for myself and one for my wife. We want to have access to all of the same music to sync to our iPods. We also want to sync tv shows to our ipods. Some of the shows we both watch. I want to be able to not have to have 2 copies on my hard drive of any of the music or shows that we both use but be able to have the TV show marked as watched seperatley so I know which episode I am on and she know what episode she is on. WE have one windows Laptop that we want to use to store and sync all or our media from. We are running iOS 6 out the new 5th gen iPod touch. I tried to create seperate libarys but then I ran into a few issues. When I would add a tv show to my libary it would not show up in her libary. To make it show up in her libary I clicked file and add folder to libary and clicked on the original itunes folder. But that added everything back to her libary including the shows that I wathc that she does not like and deleted from her libary. How can I make this work? Any ideas would be great.

So in a nut shell I want to sync two iOS 6 devices on the same computer and have there be a way for us both the keep track with the watched function in iTunes of what epsiode we are on and with out having 2 copies of any files on my computer. THank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have two users on the laptop. Each with a copy of iTunes.
The iTunes library media is kept in a shared folder. User 1 has iTunes set to 'keep organised' and import new items into the library. User 2 has iTunes set to leave media where it is. This way you just have a single library but each user can access it and maintain play counts/watched/unwatched etc.
The caveat is that anything added to the library needs to be added by the 'master' user and then added again by the second user as iTunes won't dynamically update when a folders contents change.

The alternative is to have two users and have the 'master' user share out the entire library using home sharing. Never tried this on a Windows platform but it should work OK. It will mean that both users will need to be logged in so that the second user can access the shared library

C

chas_m

I think mrplow may be overthinking this.

You can certainly have multiple iOS devices on a single account using the same iTunes account and purchased apps, media, etc.

Each iDevice keeps its own track of what has been watched etc on that device. So I don't think there would be any problem if (for example) you watched an episode of a show and she hadn't yet. It was report as being unseen on her device and seen on yours.

I have several iDevices myself (a couple of iPods, an iPad and an iPhone) and it all syncs and works beautifully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So what happens when you watch a tv show on your iPhone and and then sync to iTunes? The watched marker in iTunes is set isn't it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, it would be set inside iTunes. But really what's easier?

I understand what the op wants - but that's a lot of unnecessary work where each user now has to be aware of what the other one has done instead of opening up the video app before syncing and looking at the last show they watched - which would take all of maybe 5 seconds.

My wife and I both use the same Apple ID. And keeping track of 2 iTunes accounts is a whole lot harder than checking to see what show they each want to sync next. If each one of them purchases apps, music &/or video, a year down the road, they'll have no clue whether those 2 iTunes accounts are the same or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Instead of opening up the video app before syncing and looking at the last show they watched
That's assumes syncing is done manually and not automatically over wifi.

However I agree. It's not the smoothest or elegant solution. We have multiple devices on one library and just ignore the watched unwatched marker.

But that's down to the OP as to what how important the requirement is.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

But that's down to the OP as to what how important the requirement is.

Agreed.

But, sometimes you just have to advise they really don't want what they're asking for unless they'd like to drastically increase the amount of work they need to do in order to achieve it (and in this case, an ongoing continual basis).

Don't think I've ever checked that watched/unwatched marker when I sync as I typically will load the whole season at one time and not sure what the wife does as she just doesn't sync hers very often.

There should be a more elegant way to achieve what the op wants, but I can't think of one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
She could get her own computer..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.