What do Mac longtime users like to use for Back up drives? Brand etc.

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
Need to get a new External back up drive. What do you guys recommend?

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Stay away from Seagate and Toshiba. The rest is up to you.....

C

chas_m

Despite what chscag said, I really don't think it matters. I do prefer to spend my money on companies that make drives that are pre-formatted for Mac (and particularly those that include Firewire, since it's faster than USB2), but hard drives are kind of like light bulbs: they SHOULD work reliably for years, but they COULD fail at *any* moment, and you generally don't get a lot of warning when they do.

I have two "computer" backup drives, a Misc. Media drive and another drive to back THAT up. The two older drives are both WD, the media drive is Iomega, the media backup is Hitachi. All work perfectly well and have done for years. My replacement internal drive is a Western Digital as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason I mentioned Seagate and Toshiba is that they both have a dismal record of failures right now. You can do the research on that yourself. As far as choosing a drive that is FW, I certainly agree with that but it's totally unnecessary to shop around and pay extra for a drive that is "Mac formatted" when you can reformat any drive yourself to the Mac standard.

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward the WD 1TB my book drive. Would there be any benefit over usb2.0 to get the firewire beyond the speed? I am still learning all this mac stuff and there is a ton of stuff out there. I have no preference for either the pre-formatted for mac drives or the ones that are not, that seems simple enough to do in sys pref or is it disk utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
WD's have always been good to me. G-Tech and Lacie seem to have a very good customer service record and also make good products. Firewire is worth it only if you're consistently transferring large files or volumes of files or if you're working directly from the drive. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with USB, especially since most of the newer drives are USB 3.0 compliant.

As for formatting, I agree with chscag. Formatting is trivial. In fact, I'm currently reformatting a 700 gig drive.

Doug

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've been using OWC firewire drives - they seem rock solid. OWC

C

chas_m

Would there be any benefit over usb2.0 to get the firewire beyond the speed?

"beyond the speed"?

What else is there?

PS. My comment about the preformatted for Mac preference has been misinterpreted, I see. My fault, probably. What I meant was that I look for that as a gesture of acknowledgement that Mac users matter to the company, not that I can't format any drive to be used with a Mac.

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know wether to go firewire or not. I wont have any huge files just pics and vids, but would like to take advantage of the speed of firewire. My mac doesn't have usb3 only 2.

Chas, I understood what you were trying to say about the formatting, Im sure I will have ?? if I get one not already formatted for Mac though. lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
PS. My comment about the preformatted for Mac preference has been misinterpreted, I see. My fault, probably. What I meant was that I look for that as a gesture of acknowledgement that Mac users matter to the company, not that I can't format any drive to be used with a Mac.

As long as they're not upcharging for it that's ok. Only someone needs to mention that most hardware companies are price gouging because it's "compatible" with a Mac - (for instance - cough - Lacie - cough). I have a hard time thinking of any hardware companies that will actually supprt Mac users other than OWC and Crucial that don't just stick it to the consumer only because they think they can get it out of folks that have purchased a Mac.

(I will note that this particular aspect of recognizing Mac users has gotten better than it was when I bought my first Mac in '06.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. I've seen as much as a 15% markup or more on drives that were "Mac formatted". LaCie isn't the only one, iOmega is also on that bandwagon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm using two Iomega eGO desktop drives. A 2TB for back ups and a 1TB as my main hard disk since my internal one failed earlier this year. Just noticed both have dropped about £50 on Amazon since I bought them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
WD Studio's have been good to me.

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going to go with WD. ANy of those that I should avoid? I want to use time machine and not WD's software that comes on the drive, will that be something easy to bypass?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Since my backup drives dont leave the house, I dont use any of the "rugged" type. Right now, my backup drives are both 1 TB WD drives. Have been working flawlessly since they have been installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Going to go with WD. ANy of those that I should avoid? I want to use time machine and not WD's software that comes on the drive, will that be something easy to bypass?

plug in the drive, point TimeMachine to it, and let it do its thing. It will format the drive to what it needs, blowing the WD software off the drive. One of the easiest and most reliable backup solutions on the market right now. Of course, reliability has more to do with the hardware than the software 99% of the time in ANY backup solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As with what Deckyon said I ignore their software and just use TM.

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, this is what I will do. WD on the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I just bought a 2TB Time Capsule and couldnt be happier.
Yes i paid premium price but i expect it to last as long as i need it too and i love it being wireless that suits me because i have a house of notebooks atm . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Ive been using two 500Gb USB 2 Buffalo Ministations on my system for backup and archive purposes for the past year and half with zero problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.