CD won't initialize

M

Mike Holt

Hi Guys; I'm trying to dump some files onto a brand new CD-R and when I click on initialize, it pops the disc out and says it can't initialize it because the disc is locked. Now what the heck is that supposed to mean? And, how do I fix it? thanks for any help. Mike

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What application are you using? Normally when you initialize, you are erasing a CD-RW and when you burn you are writing to a CD-R or CD-RW.

OP
M

Mike Holt

Os9

rman said:
What application are you using? Normally when you initialize, you are erasing a CD-RW and when you burn you are writing to a CD-R or CD-RW.

I'm using OS9 (because I hate OSX) and I'm trying to burn a CD-R. When I put the CD-R (brand new) into the drive, the dialogue box pops up saying that the disc is unreadable do I want to initialize it. I click "yes" and it then pops the disc out and says" can't initialize because the disc is locked". So, i'm not erasing anything and its not a CD-RW. Thanks for the come-back. Mike

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe in OS 9, you would need a application like Toast.

OP
M

Mike Holt

Hah

rman said:
I believe in OS 9, you would need a application like Toast.

Hah, maybe that's it! I'll try it and get back to you. Thanks a million, Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
toast wont solve it and neither will upgrading to 9.2.2 :(

been trying to solve the exact same problem today at work and its an issue with OS9 rather than your burner because im guessing that its an external drive right?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what I see. OS 9 needs an application in order to burn CDs. You use an application like Toast to burn the CDs. Since I used OS 9 to burn CDs a long time ago. i don't see the problem, unless you don't have Toast. The Toast application does see external CD/DVD burners. At the time I was using it I was using a firewire burner.

OP
L

lil

OS 9 should allow for drag and drop burning in Finder.

In the Apple Extras folder in the Applicatons (Mac OS 9) folder on MAcintosh HD I believe there is an app called Disc Burner - have you tried this?

Burning CDs works fine on my Power Mac 8500 with G3/333 and Mac OS 9.2.1.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.