SimCity. Need suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Hey guys,

I've been a huge fan of the simcity games for years. Loved them even though I've only played a few of them.

I've been really (I mean REALLY) wanting to play a simcity game (or similar) but don't know how to go about it best.

I'm also open to games that are like simcity to like (cities xl) or so.

What I'm looking for are some suggestions of what I can do.

Do I have to buy it for windows and run it on a VM?
Can I buy it for windows and run it in Wine?
Will Cities XL run in Wine if I download it and don't have disk (legally of course as I can't stand pirates)?

I'm just looking for some suggestions on what YOU would do if you really wanted to play SimCity (or similar) on your Mac, how would you accomplish it?

Thanks guys,

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to hang on until next Feb; read this from Electronic Arts: LINK

I doubt that you can run SimCity from WINE but I suppose it would be worth a try. You can, however, run it from "Crossover Games" which is a professionally done version of WINE. The problem is the cost.

In the meantime, there's always Boot Camp but that also means you'll need a copy of Windows (additional cost) to install.

I have several older Win 3.0 and Win 95 games (mostly solitaire and word games) that I run from WINE but they're relatively easy to install. I've tried to install games that require DirectX but they refuse to run. (SimCity requires DirectX graphics acceleration.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.