Griffin iTrip not working with iPhone 4S iOS 6

Reaction score
I recently bought my first iPhone.
I have a Griffin iTrip which I bought back in 2006, but it is not working with my iPhone 4S iOS 6 i.e. nothing happens when you plug it in to the bottom of the phone.
I tried it on a friend's iPhone 4 iOS 5 and it works.

I don't know if it's the phone or the OS, but just wondering if anyone has had the same problem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just my opinion, but you can save yourself a lot of time and hassle by purchasing a real integration system for your car. Chances are if it's less than 10 years old, the car has a CD changer or an XM radio port on the back of the stereo. Several different companies make boxes that plug into these ports and allow the iPod/iPhone to play through the stereo, as well as charge the iPhone/iPod, and in many cases, display the track/album/artist name on the screen and control the iPod/iPhone through the stereo controls (so you can safely store your device out of sight).

It takes a bit of work to install (you'll need to remove the car's stereo or have it professionally installed), but the audio quality is infinitely better, and of course, you'll gain quite a bit of functionality.

FM modulators like the iTrip are mostly a pain in the rear to deal with, and sometimes unusable if you're in an area that has a lot of FM stations and/or other vehicles that use them.

You can check out compatibility at sites like Logjamelectronics.com or Crutchfield.com. There are usually several options for newer cars - and even if it's older (late 90's or earlier) at the very least, a wired FM modulator is a better option.

OP
J
Reaction score
What did Griffin have to say when you contacted them about the issue?

The said it "should" work but can't guarantee it because it's so old.
So i tried it on a new docking station and it worked, so i think the iTrip is just too old.
I'm going to buy a new FM transmitter I think.

OP
J
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but you can save yourself a lot of time and hassle by purchasing a real integration system for your car. Chances are if it's less than 10 years old, the car has a CD changer or an XM radio port on the back of the stereo. Several different companies make boxes that plug into these ports and allow the iPod/iPhone to play through the stereo, as well as charge the iPhone/iPod, and in many cases, display the track/album/artist name on the screen and control the iPod/iPhone through the stereo controls (so you can safely store your device out of sight).

It takes a bit of work to install (you'll need to remove the car's stereo or have it professionally installed), but the audio quality is infinitely better, and of course, you'll gain quite a bit of functionality.

FM modulators like the iTrip are mostly a pain in the rear to deal with, and sometimes unusable if you're in an area that has a lot of FM stations and/or other vehicles that use them.

You can check out compatibility at sites like Logjamelectronics.com or Crutchfield.com. There are usually several options for newer cars - and even if it's older (late 90's or earlier) at the very least, a wired FM modulator is a better option.

Thanks for the feeback.
I think the iTrip is just too old, as I tried the iPhone in a new docking station and it worked.
And I'm just after buying a new car so it would be a good time to buy an integration system also (if I can afford it!).
I'll take a look at those sites.
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.