The eternal Mac versa PC question!

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm here to possibly get precious info as I'm at the point to decide to make a step to
add the the Mac world to my Windows world. I've been working for 15 years with PCs
for which I got skilled to a point to assemble them myself, buying the best components
and putting all together + installing, re-installing etc. So, I know myself as a fish in
the water with Windows. The only hick is that I'm fed up with these strange bugs
coming from the architecture of the system, or the slowness from the Antivirus checking
every single bite, and also that I need to re-install everything from scratch peridocally
to have my system fit.

I am a musician, I work with audio, often on extended processing levels.
It's welknown that most professionals work on Macs. But I've got few valuable (?)
arguments against:
1.Small Macs are not better than a powerfull PCs for even less the price.
2.To have a powerful Mac you need to invest serious money.
3.One can touch NOTHING on a Mac, no control, no re-installation, no freedom to use
whatever software you want etc. Doesn't one become an adicted slave of a Mac ?...
4.It's not excluded that a Mac frozes too, as it even happened in the hands of
Holy Steve...
5. Is it sure that Windows installed on a Mac will be as stable as the proper Mac
OS and software?

So, it's the stability of the system that is in question. The architecture of a Mac seems
to me better made as it doesn't sit on layers but everything goes directly to the "brain" centre.
Right or wrong?

Any opinions on that would be very hepful.
Thanks.

Bad Disciple
Intel Dual Core 2.0 GHz, 4MB L2 cache;
2GB DDR;
320 GB HDD, 2 external x1TB HDDs
Windows XP Pro

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Please don't double post. Duplicates have been deleted.

As to your question, a Mac is a PC. Mac OS is the reason to own one. Other than that you are better off sticking with Windows machines.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I know I shouldn't, but it's been so long since I've touched one of these threads, I just couldn't he'p myself...

Hi folks,

I'm here to possibly get precious info as I'm at the point to decide to make a step to
add the the Mac world to my Windows world. I've been working for 15 years with PCs
for which I got skilled to a point to assemble them myself, buying the best components
and putting all together + installing, re-installing etc. So, I know myself as a fish in
the water with Windows.

There's a whole ton of us long time gamers use to building and overclocking extreme Windows machines that are using Macs and still have a Windows custom built rig sitting on our desks.

The only hick is that I'm fed up with these strange bugs
coming from the architecture of the system, or the slowness from the Antivirus checking every single bite, and also that I need to re-install everything from scratch peridocally to have my system fit.

Yep - use to do a clean install on my rigs every 6 months whether it needed it or not just to keep it running at peak efficiency. Of course, I never kept the same Windows machine for personal use longer than about 12-15 months either. Had to have that new CPU or graphics card for that new game.

My 6 yr old Mac has never had a clean install except when a new version of the OS has come out. My old Windows habit...

My wife's 6 yr old Mac however, has never had a clean install - it's gone through an upgrade install through 4 versions of the OS - try that with a Windows machine - nm, you wouldn't even dare.

I am a musician, I work with audio, often on extended processing levels.
It's welknown that most professionals work on Macs. But I've got few valuable (?)
arguments against:
1.Small Macs are not better than a powerfull PCs for even less the price.

Not better? That's so generic as to have no meaning whatsoever.

2.To have a powerful Mac you need to invest serious money.

To have a powerful Windows machine you need to invest serious money - don't see anything new there. Since building my first custom rig when Win 95 first came out, have never spent less than $2,000 on one and several of them hit $3k. If you're building one of those $700-$1100 boxes PC Mag shows you how to build - that's no serious gaming nor video rig.

3.One can touch NOTHING on a Mac, no control,

Don't know who you've been talking to. No control - thought you were tired of the
strange bugs coming from the architecture of the system, or the slowness from the Antivirus checking every single bite, and also that I need to re-install everything from scratch peridocally to have my system fit.

no re-installation,

Who told you such a thing? You can reinstall as often as you like. There just won't be a need to do it because that's the only way to get your system back up to speed again.

no freedom to use whatever software you want etc. Doesn't one become an adicted slave of a Mac ?...

Uhm, you're not an addicted slave of Windows right now? Can you install software written for OS X?

4.It's not excluded that a Mac frozes too, as it even happened in the hands of Holy Steve...

It is still a computer and it still is made by man - yeah, there are going to be issues from time to time.

5. Is it sure that Windows installed on a Mac will be as stable as the proper Mac OS and software?

No, Windows installed on a Mac will only be as stable as Windows. Installing Windows on a Mac, that is essentially the same hardware used in every PC around the world does not somehow have a magical effect to make Windows run as stable as Linux or OS X. It will run exactly the same as if you installed it on the same hardware by some other manufacturer.

So, it's the stability of the system that is in question. The architecture of a Mac seems
to me better made as it doesn't sit on layers but everything goes directly to the "brain" centre.
Right or wrong?

I'll let someone else take that one

Bad Disciple
Intel Dual Core 2.0 GHz, 4MB L2 cache;
2GB DDR;
320 GB HDD, 2 external x1TB HDDs
Windows XP Pro

Running a Windows machine on the hardware and with the OS you've posted and is basically 6 years old, would think pretty much any Mac or Windows PC you could buy today could run circles around it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As to an opinion, you're either ready to try something new and willing to re-learn or you'd rather stick to what you know.

Perhaps you might like a thread I wrote less than a month after my first Mac - link - and then consider, a Mac has become my primary computing platform.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hail folks, and first thanks a lot for the feedback!
Now I'll resume all the info I got from everywhere I posted the thread.
1. Macs are well made machines for people who don't want to (or can't) mess with computer skills.
2. Concerning power, Mac and Windows machines don't really differ when care is taken for it.
3. Mac machines however are reported to be stable by excellence for their architectural concept.
4. Never the less, there's quite lesser software for Macs that one can find around.
5. Same level pre-built Mac and Windows machines have a noticeable price difference.
6. Macs are not really strong for games (but then how are they strong for video production?).
7. Mac products have nice design (but... one should not buy important stuff only with the eyes!)
8. Mac keyboards are anything but ergonomic.
9. Apple has made it to create a "psychosis" in the sense that once you buy a Mac you are
driven by "attraction" and the "sweet addiction" to pay and buy more options and gadgets,
and... iProducts... (I've heard people say "I am addicted to my Mac products", that seems
not to be the case in Windowsland.)

A conclusion seems to be that one should test both types of machines while considering:
- Recognizable stability with Mac machines against often bugging/freezing Windows ones;
- Need of periodical re-formatting/re-installing as a must for Windows machines, not for Macs;
- No quite need for Anti-virus or 'Internet security suites' for Macs against an "obligation" to
have them on Windows (and the Windows slowness caused by them).
- Polyvalence of Windows against a "totalitarian" narrow software field for Mac;

Please tell me if I'm missing or mistaking any important points.

Thanks again.
BD

OP
B
Reaction score
As to an opinion, you're either ready to try something new and willing to re-learn or you'd rather stick to what you know.

Perhaps you might like a thread I wrote less than a month after my first Mac - link - and then consider, a Mac has become my primary computing platform.

Yes I'm always ready to try something new and as I write in the beginning of the thread, I'm willing to "add the Mac world to my Windows world".
Thanks for the link, I'll read it carefully tomorrow at ease.

BD

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW The forum membership here runs a bit higher than 50% IT Professionals (based on a survey I did a few years ago).
And, we have a fair number of Linux Geeks and Hardcore Gamers (typically on Windows machines), so lack of computer skills is a minor factor (at least here).

Bottomline: we buy and use Macs because we like them. If you are interested in trying a Mac we will be glad to assist and guide. If not, that is fine with us. This isn't a religion and we aren't looking for converts.

Finally, I don't agree with all your points but I am feeling too lazy to dispute point by point as this topic has been discussed Ad Nauseum.
Search our forums and you will find many similar threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.