Windoze Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.1, 27", 32GB Ram DDR3 1333MHz, Gen 4 iPod, iPad (3?), Bond
Can I run a full version of Windoze from a drive on the Network? I'd like to add an other OPerating system without filling up my onboard SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You can try however Microsoft have built into Windows 7 software to make it run on the main drive only, not an external. Part of their anti-piracy measures. Let us know how you go?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I run a full version of Windoze from a drive on the Network? I'd like to add an other OPerating system without filling up my onboard SSD.

As Harry pointed out in his reply, MS has restricted the installation of Windows to internal drives only. Unless you're accessing a Windows server through the network, you will be unable to install it on a network drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.1, 27", 32GB Ram DDR3 1333MHz, Gen 4 iPod, iPad (3?), Bond
Thanks Guys, I thought that would be the case. I know Win7 has "hooks" that know the hardware the OS is, or has been running on. I'm going to try to run the main HD on an external drive carriage. It it doesn't show up, I'll load a clean install on the drive, and see if it will run on the powered drive carriage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.