Mac in-app icons not there (Safari, Finder, Xcode)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I hope someone can help me out. I'm guessing it's a permissions issue, or I just blasted a directory that I should not have. I am missing app icons for some Apple apps.. Finder, Xcode, and even Safari are missing the little toolbar/nav icons.

image.jpg

Advice I've already tried to follow: delete a host of .plist files from ~/Library/preferences; restarted; many times. :)

One thing that I do know that DOES make the icons reappear -- logging in as a different user. And bingo bango, my icons are all back. But, as you can imagine, that's not what I'd like to do. I'd like to find out what in the heck is causing these things to go blank.

Thanks for any help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Hi ThuyNga, thanks for the reply -- but I don't think Xcode is the problemo. It's systemic across all the Apple apps. Additionally, Xcode projects are fully contained in their own silo.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You didn't happen to open Finder to the Pictures search and decide you didn't need those few thousand pics it found and start deleting them did you?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
So I found this...

Loading…

Apparently, these System-Provided Icons are well documented -- but I just don't know where in the **** to find them.

image.jpg

Anyone have experience with these?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.