2007 iMac, A1208, vertical lines. Any fix? Or screwed?

Reaction score
Hello, there,

I'm sure you dedicated Mac-Forumers get annoyed by people like me, just passing through with a single question, but I want to let you know from the start that I appreciate your input very much.

So, on to the problem.

I just picked up a 2007 iMac, 2.0Ghz/1GB/160GBHDD for less than $100. Only problem is, the display is showing lines, vertical. What do I do? Despite growing up on Macs (my godfather was an exec at Apple back in the day), I ended up drifting to Windows and Linux to build my own systems, but I've been needing a Mac for some projects and I don't know a **** thing about how to fix any Mac hardware problems, especially since it's an all-in-one system.

I'm wary about messing in it, but I'm not at all technically inept, so some simple guidance on how to take care of an issue, even if I have to dismantle it, would be helpful.

Also, the HDD is totally wiped, but I have everything I need (I think) software-wise. EDIT: So, I'm finding it difficult to figure out how to install onto a totally wiped drive. I haven't put any disk in yet, but I want to be sure before continuing. When I start the system, the screen is blank (whiteish, not black blank) and then a folder with a question mark flashes indefinitely. Is this right for where I believe I'm at, or am I looking at other expenditures (HDD)? Thanks again!

So, what can I do about this problem? Is it the screen itself? If so, where can I find a replacement if it needs replacing? Also, if it is just the screen, would there be any known issue just hooking it up to a regular monitor and having the iMac under the desk like a regular desktop?

THANKS!

Picture, just in case it might help:
256wgv9.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Looks like you have purchased a $100 lemon. No fis for graphics as it is part of the logic board. To install an operating system you need at least the system the computer came with, known as the original system install discs, or a retail black DVD of Leopard OS X.5 or Snow Leopard OS X.6.

Pop the disc in the optical drive slot on the side of the iMac and boot holding down 'C'. Looking at the state of the iMac, the optical drive may also be shot.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, that's just some awful news. If the optical drive is fine and everything else is, other than the screen, it should still be usable though, right? Just annoying? Edit: Would it be possible to purchase and replace the board?

I mostly need it for publishing iOS apps and buying a $350+ machine for the one purpose seems a little silly to me. I develop the apps on Windows, but still need to transfer them to a Mac to publish and I don't have any friends with a Mac to borrow from.

And I have a retail of Leopard. Is "black" a specific kind that I would need? :(

C

chas_m

If you're developing for iOS you are COMPLETELY barking up the wrong tree.

Machine is too old to run the version of XCode you have to use, Leopard is incompatible with your goals, etc. Board would be too expensive to replace, and so on and so on and so on.

Bottom line: you need a fairly recent Mac. You could go for a Mac mini, a refurb'd or used (recent vintage, like the last couple-three years) iMac, or a combination of those. If you're going to get serious about iOS development, this is a penny in the fountain compared to what you'll earn back (and tax-deductible as well!).

OP
T
Reaction score
And this is why I'm usually not much of an impulse buyer. :|

Whenever I'm somewhere that might carry a used Mac, they tend to be snatched up pretty quickly. So, when I saw this, turned it on and the biggest (apparent) issue was the lines, I figured I should grab it while I could. Lesson learned.

Now that it's completely useless for what I need, any suggestions on how I could get a little bit of money back on it? If it's just board that's messed up, would other parts be worth enough on eBay to go through the trouble?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Advertise it on eBay as is pointing out the fault. You may redeem some of your hundred bucks with luck.

Reaction score
Old post, but the problem here is (because of the year and model, a current issue) the display is bad, all the rest is in good conditions. Replace it for a LM171W02 (TL) (B2) or ending in (B1) instead of (B2), both works the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.