Mac OSX won't boot...

Reaction score
Mac Book Pro 13" Unibody Mid-2009 running Mac OSX 10.5.X Leopard
System won't boot (grey screen with the apple and the turning wheel for 2-3 min then shuts off)
Had charger and battery issues so I just changed both
Tried to reboot from install DVD but won't work, tried single user start and /sbin/fsck -fy and it says

** /dev/rdisk0s2
** Root file system
** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
Incorrect block count for file syslog.pid
(It should be 1 instead of 0)
Incorrect block count for file utmpx
(It should be 1 instead of 0)
Invalid index key
(4, 44415)
** Rebuilding Catalog B-tree.
** The volume Mac HD could not be repaired.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

Any ideas ?
Thanks a million
A.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
New hard drive..... and while you're at it, change the SATA ribbon cable that goes from the hard drive connector to the logic board. You can buy the new drive from most anywhere provided it's SATA, 2.5" wide and no more than 9.5 MM thick. The new cable can be purchased from:

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,

I did just that (except for changing the cable, but I'll do it asap)... I tried to firewire target the faulty hardrive first though, but to no avail... so I installed a new HD !! BTW people on forums say that a 7200rpm is a source of annoying vibrations, but I do not experience that at all, it runs like a charm (at least for now).

It still amazes me though that after just 3 1/2 years I had to change the fan, the battery and the HD... but I don't complain it still is cheaper than buying a new one, plus it is really easy to do if you have the proper tools ;)

Just one question though : is it possible to format the faulty disk (to use as external HD) or is it just dead ? In which case it would be my first and would remind me of my old PSP that ended up as a 'brick' after a couple of years...

Thanks for the prompt reply
A.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can possibly format the faulty drive but of course that will wipe all its data. Don't you want to try and get your data off the drive? Buy a SATA usb enclosure and place the drive in it to see if you can access and copy your data from it. Get an inexpensive enclosure. I've seen them at Fry's for less than $15.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Thanks for the help...I don't need the data on the drive anymore : I reinstalled OSX from the DVD on the new drive and then Time Machined it... The data I lost is thus minimal. Just wanted to know if the faulty HDD could be reused or if I had to dump it.

Cheers
A.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have done that a few times and had the drive work for years while at other times it did not work at all. In any case keep any data on that drive backed up just in case this is a recurring problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.