Problems with pdf downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have been experiencing difficulties with downloading pdfs recently. In Firefox (version 16.0.1) the page just appears as a blank white screen. In Safari I get the image but cannot save it as a pdf.

Although the default pdf reader/writer is the standard one I also have Acrobat Reader to read certain documents that can only be read with Acrobat.

I have read the answers to similar problems given to rmarsh0703 in July but I can't see how to disable Adobe in Safari.

Can anyone help please?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Are you left-clicking on the PDFs or saving them with a right-click? If the former, then switch using the latter and save the file and then open it in Preview or Adobe Reader..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you left-clicking on the PDFs or saving them with a right-click? If the former, then switch using the latter and save the file and then open it in Preview or Adobe Reader..

Thanks for your help. Message keeps on vanishing so this is 3rd retype!

I tried right clicking at download prompt, then chose 'Save link as' (Preview already showing as default).

I wonder why it no longer works the way it used to.

Having been obliged to use Safari which is default for iPhone I may well migrate to it permanently.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Adobe Reader's plugin only works with Safari so that won't be causing the issue with Firefox. However, it might be causing issues with Safari. In the Reader preferences, under the Internet category, there should be an option to enable/disable it. Try disabling it, relaunch Safari, and try again.

Do you have any PDF reader extension or plugin installed for Firefox? If so, disable each of them (if there are multiple) one at a time to find the problematic one.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problems downloading pdfs SOLVED

Adobe Reader's plugin only works with Safari so that won't be causing the issue with Firefox. However, it might be causing issues with Safari. In the Reader preferences, under the Internet category, there should be an option to enable/disable it. Try disabling it, relaunch Safari, and try again.

Do you have any PDF reader extension or plugin installed for Firefox? If so, disable each of them (if there are multiple) one at a time to find the problematic one.

A guy from the Firefox forum came up with the solution. In Firefox Preferences/Applications Adobe Reader plugin was showing as the default for Preview documents. I suppose that that must have crept in when I had to install Adobe Reader to open a UK Government Form. Presumably, because it only works with Safari, that's why I couldn't open the files.

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.