• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Old Mac PowerPC G3 situation...

P

phatts50

ok, so i inherited this old g3 that was running OS 8.5 and i found an upgrade to 8.6 online. i upgraded and now it says that my usb mouse (running off of a usb card, pci most likely) cannot be used because it requires too much power... so my question is:

If I get a copy of OS X, will the computer boot straight from the cd or would I have to find a serial or PS/2 mouse to use to set the startup disk to the OS X cd?

Specs for the G3:

300MHz processor
384MB RAM
30Gig hdd

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
phatts50 said:
ok, so i inherited this old g3 that was running OS 8.5 and i found an upgrade to 8.6 online. i upgraded and now it says that my usb mouse (running off of a usb card, pci most likely) cannot be used because it requires too much power... so my question is:

If I get a copy of OS X, will the computer boot straight from the cd or would I have to find a serial or PS/2 mouse to use to set the startup disk to the OS X cd?

Specs for the G3:

300MHz processor
384MB RAM
30Gig hdd

Thanks all.
If your G3 has no built in USB ports, you should be able to use an ADB (apple desktop bus) mouse. These can be had cheap on ebay. then you can install updated USB extensions or drivers for the card or the usb mouse or whatever. If your G3 has built in USB ports, try those.

good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
phatts50 said:

Specs for the G3:

300MHz processor
384MB RAM
30Gig hdd

Thanks all.
Oh and as for your other problem if your G3 is blue you can install most any flavor of OSX, if it is beige I'm not sure it will run anything over 10.2 'Jaguar' so you need to check that out before you spend any $$. good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.