Powerbook only works on power supply, forgets networks & date

Reaction score
I have a Powerbook G4 Aluminum 17" (A1107). It had a bad 'Y' key, so I replaced the keyboard. This was the only problem the computer had.

Once I got everything put back together it wouldn't turn on until after I plugged i the power supply. It won't do anything on battery power. Once the computer starts up (while plugged in) it tells me that it there are no preferred networks, and that the clock has been reset.

After setting this info it prompts me to enter the network info after each reboot. The clock seems to be stored, unless I unplug the power supply. Then both the date & networks need to be reset.

I've tried PRAM and PMU resets, with no luck. The only positive thing is that the 'Y' works now. :)

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
My G4 Powerbook is exactly the same way for the last 6 months. A call to Apple and they tell me the battery needs to be replaced. I replaced the battery but I still have the same issue.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yea, the battery is fine. The OS recognizes it, and says it's fully charged.

I've also found that simply putting the computer to sleep causes the same problem.

OP
R
Reaction score
Just a little follow-up... I came home the next day and everything was back to normal. It remembers the network info, clock info, and runs on the battery just like normal.

Maybe the pram battery needed to charge? Does it ever get a charge from the power supply?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.