Certain keyboard keys not working.

Reaction score
Ok, I didnt see exactly something like this in the forums, but if i am just restating a question that has already been asked, my sincerest apologies.

I have an older Macbook, approx. 2007, I believe. For some strange reason, some of the keys just stopped working. No possibility of liquid damage as I have always been very careful about things like that and do not let others use my computer unless I am there. A few years working as an office IT admin taught me that can be bad.

Anyway, currently the power, right shift, and return keys are non-functional. I was able to power it on by shorting the pads on the logic board and am currently posing from the machine. I just wanted to see if anyone had any possible solutions for me without having to go and get a whole new topcase for it since I would rather not have to spend the money.

Using the onscreen keyboard through the universal access settings, i can confirm every key functional except the three mentioned. Return and right shift show no indication on the keyboard when pressed and having to short the logic board is proof enough for me of the power key. The return key is a minor annoyance, but the right shift is my go-to shift button, due to the way I learned to type.

Also, while typing this post, the comma key also seems to be acting up, with the same non-functionality as the other three. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.