Word files from my pc now on my Mac

Reaction score
Whenever I try to open files in Word, I get an error message saying that there are problems with the contents or the file name, or that they might contain an invalid character. I also cannot save word files--it won't recognize the file name.

C

chas_m

Chances are that the error message is 100 percent accurate -- that you have / or * or other "illegal" characters in your file names. Solution: rename the files.

OP
H
Reaction score
I've had my mac with office word for about 4 months. Lately I get error messages when I try to open an existing xml doc or even try to save a new one. The error messages say that there are problems with the file name or might contain invalid characters. Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start a new thread. Your question was already answered in this current thread. Both posts have been merged together.

OP
H
Reaction score
error message in word

Okay. How do I rename files? Keep in mind that this means ALL of my files--both those transferred from my PC and those created on my Mac. Also, how do I rename files I'm trying to save?
Could this be related to the message I keep getting about replacing my Normal.dot file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Could you give an example of a file name you are trying to use when you get this msg?

OP
H
Reaction score
word error message

most of my files end in docx
example:
Frida.docx
audio insight 7-7-12.docx
but also:
2420 Phil Ct. pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Hey hollynchase,

I see the problem. The file extension .docx is an MS Office extension not compaitble with MACs. Here is a link for converting them Convert .docx files to .txt

OP
H
Reaction score
error message in word

Thank you so much! I'll try that. But, I'm curious, do you have any idea how this could have happened? I bought Office for Mac at the same time I bought my Mac Mini (5 months ago) and Word was working fine until last week. So how did this incompatibility arise?
And, why can't I save new docs?
I really appreciate your input. There is no Apple Store in Redding, and the local Best Buy is not too responsive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey hollynchase,

I see the problem. The file extension .docx is an MS Office extension not compaitble with MACs. Here is a link for converting them Convert .docx files to .txt

Where did you get that from? The extension *.docx is compatible with both Mac Office 2008 and 2011. It's also compatible with Windows Office. The extension is for Word files and works both on the Mac and PCs.

His problem is that the files have illegal characters in them not because the extension is .docx.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much! I'll try that. But, I'm curious, do you have any idea how this could have happened? I bought Office for Mac at the same time I bought my Mac Mini (5 months ago) and Word was working fine until last week. So how did this incompatibility arise?
And, why can't I save new docs?
I really appreciate your input. There is no Apple Store in Redding, and the local Best Buy is not too responsive.

Don't try it, he's wrong. There is no problem with the file extension. The problem is that you have illegal characters in the file names. The files have to be renamed to remove the illegal characters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't try it, he's wrong. There is no problem with the file extension. The problem is that you have illegal characters in the file names. The files have to be renamed to remove the illegal characters.
chscag,

I am perfectly aware that you can use docx files in both the newer MAC versions of office and pages. Does not explain why the OP would get the error he is getting in ALL the files he is working with. Now is possible he is trying to use illegal characters in every document, but imho unlikely. Hence my recommendation he try converting some of the files.

To the OP,
If you are using file names that include characters such as !@#$%-, you will get the message for illegal characters.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am perfectly aware that you can use docx files in both the newer MAC versions of office and pages.

That's fine, but your reply was confusing because *.docx is OK to use and the OP stated he just purchased Office along with his Mac 5 months ago.

As I stated above, that file extension has been used since Mac Office 2008 and even before that on Windows PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
hollynchase, please verify that you are a female ;)
(unless you'd prefer not to)

OP
H
Reaction score
error message in word

so, I'm really confused now. I don't think my files have either illegal characters or names. I tried renaming a file--no luck. same message.
I'm beginning to feel desperate.
I'm thinking that Word was just fine until about two weeks ago when I added a CD drive previously not on my Mini Mac. The CD (a tutorial) opened in Word and worked fine, but after that, I started getting the "Do you want to replace existing Normal.dotm?" messages, and then the illegal character messages, and then, I discovered that I couldn't even save newly created files.
:'(
what to do? BestBuy wants me to give them $200 and bring my less than 6 month old Mini Mac in. I think if I'm going to throw money at this, I'd rather hire a local Mac expert to come to my home. I keep hoping this is just me and not the machine . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CD tutorial may have made some "changes" that it shouldn't have. The question about "normal.dotm" is worrisome because that's the basic template upon which Word builds everything else.

I suggest uninstalling Office and reinstall from your original disk. Assuming you have Office 2011, it has to be uninstalled by following the Microsoft instructions. It can not be dragged to the trash. Follow the instructions given here. Uninstalling will not remove your documents or personal templates. (Print out the instructions first.)

If you have Office 2008, use the built in uninstaller to remove it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.