How do I fix this? MacBook screen issues!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
That looks more like a LCD or graphics card issue. Do you have another monitor you could plug in?

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't actually have the Mac with me, but I do have a monitor and I was planning on doing that as soon as I got the device; I bought it from someone on CL (sketchy, yes, but it was a bargain)
Let's say it was either of those scenarios, after plugging in an external monitor, how would I go about fixing it/knowing what the actual issue was?
Would I have to replace the screen or graphics card either were the root of the problem?

Thanks for the quick input! I really appreciate it!

C

chas_m

I'm 95 percent sure I know why that MacBook Air was a bargain.

Certainly give the PRAM reset a try, as well as an SMC reset. But if that doesn't fix it, it's the logic board (graphics are integrated on the logic board).

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm 95 percent sure I know why that MacBook Air was a bargain.

Certainly give the PRAM reset a try, as well as an SMC reset. But if that doesn't fix it, it's the logic board (graphics are integrated on the logic board).

Oh. Well, ****. I haven't payed the guy yet- should I ask for the device minus the price of a new logic board?

C

chas_m

I would pass on this one, since he's never going to agree to that (because he'd end up owning you money).

OP
C
Reaction score
I would pass on this one, since he's never going to agree to that (because he'd end up owning you money).

owing me money?
I just checked prices on Google- no joke. A new one runs for $300ish! Thanks for the heads up! How would I know if it's a logic board failure? If the PRAM/SMC resets don't work?

C

chas_m

owing me money?
I just checked prices on Google- no joke. A new one runs for $300ish! Thanks for the heads up! How would I know if it's a logic board failure? If the PRAM/SMC resets don't work?

If the PRAM/SMC resets don't solve the issue (and I doubt they will), it's a faulty video chipset (which is soldered onto the motherboard).

OP
C
Reaction score
If the PRAM/SMC resets don't solve the issue (and I doubt they will), it's a faulty video chipset (which is soldered onto the motherboard).

You're a god.
Is there really no way to get a reasonable price on a MacBook Pro/Air? I have to pay for my own tuition/rent/gas/etc. I'd literally have to sell a kidney to get a brand new one...

C

chas_m

I got my most recent one -- a 2009 MBP -- for around $550. It's proven to be a very solid investment -- better video card than my BlackBook, capable of up to 8GB RAM, FW800 and able to run Mountain Lion.

There are probably some good deals around on the early MacBook Air models, though I'd skip the 2008 version personally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.