cmd.exe

Reaction score
so about 2 weeks ago, my brother sent me up to san fran to visit him and learn how to code. he had bought 2 macbook air's so that we can code together.(i think he also likes to buy cool stuff) so i started learning to code python and stuff, but i eventually had to come back home. and he had decided to return our macbook air's to upgrade them from the 4g ram to the 8g ram. so i'm home now on my pc trying to figure out command prompt, because apparently, the commands aren't the same, until my macbook air get's here. but i want to keep going with the python exercises.

so my question is, is there any software that emulates mac terminal that is accessible to windows xp?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your title "cmd.exe" is somewhat confusing because it refers to the Windows command prompt. As far as I am aware, there is no emulation software that would run OS X on a Windows machine. And if there were, it would be illegal (against the Apple EULA). I strongly suggest you wait until you receive your new upgraded MBA from your brother.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your title "cmd.exe" is somewhat confusing because it refers to the Windows command prompt. As far as I am aware, there is no emulation software that would run OS X on a Windows machine. And if there were, it would be illegal (against the Apple EULA). I strongly suggest you wait until you receive your new upgraded MBA from your brother.

i didn't really know what else to call this thread, but then again, i didn't really take time to think about it. any ways, windows has "powershell" which basically solves the problem. so everything is good. thanks for the help though

Reaction score
If you want a similar experience to the OS X command line install Linux.
The Linux Bash shell is closer to OS X than Windows Powershell.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
N
Reaction score
If you want a similar experience to the OS X command line install Linux.
The Linux Bash shell is closer to OS X than Windows Powershell.

i've used linux before, it took a little too much work for my liking. i'm barely learning to code and do cool computer type things. thanks though. once i feel comfortable with my skills i'll definitely be trying out linux/ubuntu

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.