Zoomed in and could not zoom out

Reaction score
I was using my macbook pro and I zoomed in on a webpage using my thumb and pointer finger and when I tried to zoom out it was impossible. Even the icons on my dock were larger. I had to hold the power button to shut it off and start it up again. Afterwards I tried to see if I could zoom in again so that the icons on my dock would get bigger and I can't figure out a way. What was going on? I feel like my computer was being hacked or something. Weird. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Are you using Mountain Lion?

This happened last week when my daughter was using our iMac. I thought she'd changed some settings at first but all she had done was zoom in. It's as if the desk top was twice its normal size.

Like you, only solution was to shut down and restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was using my macbook pro and I zoomed in on a webpage using my thumb and pointer finger and when I tried to zoom out it was impossible. Even the icons on my dock were larger. I had to hold the power button to shut it off and start it up again. Afterwards I tried to see if I could zoom in again so that the icons on my dock would get bigger and I can't figure out a way. What was going on? I feel like my computer was being hacked or something. Weird. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

If the icons got larger also, then you zoomed in using the Zoom feature of the Accessibility preferences. Here are the tutorials for the trackpad gestures to zoom in on "content":
Apple - Use your fingers to use your Mac in OS X Mountain Lion.

If the Accessibility features are turned on, then holding down the CTRL key while performing the trackpad gestures will zoom the entire screen, not just the "content".
Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: new iOS-style Accessibility

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.