Which mac sounds right for me?

Reaction score
Hello internet. I've posted this on another forum, but I'm posting it here too, just to get some opinions from this community.

I have used a windows computer since before I could walk. I can remember spending hours looking through files and perfecting my imperfect art in the good old fashioned paint program that comes on windows. But now, the time has come for me to part with my beloved Windows. It has started, albeit subtly at first, to drive me slowly insane. The time has come for me to purchase a Mac. I think that they have, in recent years, overcome their windows counterparts; and because of this, I believe that a mac is the right computer for me.

I have a question for you, but in order to answer it you need to know a bit about me first. I am 16, I've just started my A-levels, and with any luck I'll be in a reasonably good university in a couple of years. I'm studying Maths, Physics, Biology and Dramatic Arts, and because of the latter two, there is a lot of essay writing. I'd be using the Mac to write essays, play games, sort email and browse the internet. As far as the gaming side of things goes, I'm in no way a hardcore gamer. I play Minecraft, World of Warcraft and Diablo III every now and again. Not the most demanding titles in the world, but nonetheless I'd still like a machine that can handle these games without too much of a problem. They all run natively on OSX, so bootcamp/parallels isn't an issue at all. I would preferably like a portable Mac, but I will settle for a static one.

The question: Which Mac should I buy?
There are a few options.
-13" Macbook Air (base model)
-15" Macbook Pro (non-retina 512mb gpu)(this option would require me to wait a little while longer while I gather the rest of the money.)
-21" iMac (base model upgraded to 8gb of ram)
-Next generation iMac (no idea quite when this is going to be coming out as it is overdue a refresh, whether it will be worth waiting, the specs or how much it will cost so this option is a HUGE risk.)
-13" Macbook Pro Retina (again, could be risky because this one could be a myth.)

My budget is roughly £1100 (1760 US dollars / 1360 euros), however this can be stretched a little bit, depending on how long I can hold out. I'd preferably like some money left over at the end to purchase a couple of vital apps (pages, keynote ect) from the app store.

Thanks very much for taking the time of day to read this post. If there are any questions, feel free to leave one in the thread and I'll hopefully get back to you.

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Early 2011 MBP/iPhone 4s/iPad 2 16GB/Apple TV
Hi,
One configuration that I really like is getting a mac mini for home use and using an 16gb iPad 2 or 3 if you require mobility. I would recommend the mac mini server model due to storage capacity and ram capabilities. Then you can get whatever size screen you wish from a small computer screen to a large flat screen tv. the mac mini server is 999 USD (not sure what these run where you are from). One could technically upgrade ram from 3rd party carriers (i.e. crucial, kingston, etc) for cheap instead of overpaying for apple ram.
My biggest issue with the mb air is that the hard drive and ram are not user replaceable so if something where to go wrong and you were outside any tech support coverage a fix would be really expensive. Also, like the macbook pro if the battery has issues, this can also cost if outside warranty.
I like desktops with iPad config because your information is more secure from accidental damage (i.e. dropping/liquid/theft/etc) and the iPad lets you accomplish probably most of what you would ever need to do on the go anyway.
The mac mini is also extremely portable if you ever travel. You could just plug it into any HDMI tv like in most hotels or peoples homes these days!
The iMac is a great computer, although in my own experience it gets really hot because all the components are inside of a metal box, I run intensive programs, and i leave my computer on quite a bit, and going with the mac mini gives you the performance of an iMac with your choice of screen size!
If you are looking for a real power horse, take the mac mini server, replace one of the hard drives with a 128 gb sad for your operating system, and leave the other hard drive for your file storage. Upgrade the ram to 8gb and you will be set for some time with an extremely fast machine. BTW, this option can be replicated in Apple computer models by replacing the optical drive with a hard drive.
As far as warranty goes, the ram and hd are all user replaceable although apple will not provide support for any user installed component.
IDK, I hope this helped…

Reaction score
Can you play games on the 13" MacBook Pro 2012 or is the iMac better not for hardcore gaming just when nothing better to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
I have a 13" and wish I would of got the 15" now

For you I would get the 15" MBP with 8GB ram and the upgraded display for a $2000 total (you can get black Friday and education discounts)

If I did it how ever I would go for the 2.66ghz 15" MBP as it comes with 1GB of graphics memory but it also comes to $2500 with the hi-rez display (not retina) which I would say is a no brainer $100.

Reaction score
Hello internet. I've posted this on another forum, but I'm posting it here too, just to get some opinions from this community.

I have used a windows computer since before I could walk. I can remember spending hours looking through files and perfecting my imperfect art in the good old fashioned paint program that comes on windows. But now, the time has come for me to part with my beloved Windows. It has started, albeit subtly at first, to drive me slowly insane. The time has come for me to purchase a Mac. I think that they have, in recent years, overcome their windows counterparts; and because of this, I believe that a mac is the right computer for me.

I have a question for you, but in order to answer it you need to know a bit about me first. I am 16, I've just started my A-levels, and with any luck I'll be in a reasonably good university in a couple of years. I'm studying Maths, Physics, Biology and Dramatic Arts, and because of the latter two, there is a lot of essay writing. I'd be using the Mac to write essays, play games, sort email and browse the internet. As far as the gaming side of things goes, I'm in no way a hardcore gamer. I play Minecraft, World of Warcraft and Diablo III every now and again. Not the most demanding titles in the world, but nonetheless I'd still like a machine that can handle these games without too much of a problem. They all run natively on OSX, so bootcamp/parallels isn't an issue at all. I would preferably like a portable Mac, but I will settle for a static one.

The question: Which Mac should I buy?
There are a few options.
-13" Macbook Air (base model)
-15" Macbook Pro (non-retina 512mb gpu)(this option would require me to wait a little while longer while I gather the rest of the money.)
-21" iMac (base model upgraded to 8gb of ram)
-Next generation iMac (no idea quite when this is going to be coming out as it is overdue a refresh, whether it will be worth waiting, the specs or how much it will cost so this option is a HUGE risk.)
-13" Macbook Pro Retina (again, could be risky because this one could be a myth.)

My budget is roughly £1100 (1760 US dollars / 1360 euros), however this can be stretched a little bit, depending on how long I can hold out. I'd preferably like some money left over at the end to purchase a couple of vital apps (pages, keynote ect) from the app store.

Thanks very much for taking the time of day to read this post. If there are any questions, feel free to leave one in the thread and I'll hopefully get back to you.

Joe

I suggest 15" or 17" MacBook Pro as it has dedicated video card would be very useful to you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
An Apple refurb 15" MB Pro is available as low as $1359 at apple.com. You may add memory or upgrade the HDD as needed in the future. Refurb stock changes almost daily, so keep looking at that site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.