MacBook trackpad click/tap unresponsive

Reaction score
I've had my MacBook for about a year now, and yesterday I started having issues with the trackpad which seemed to resolve themselves eventually, after I was finally able to close all running programs very cleverly. (It was stuck dragging around whatever I would click on first, but only on my log-in, my husbands was fine. After a few restarts and such it worked fine.)
Now today I cannot click or tap on anything. I am stuck on the log in screen and cannot bring up the password entry field on mine of my husbands user accounts, or log into the guest account. I can scroll around the screen, but that is all.
I do not have any external devices which could be interfering, nor that I can test the issue with. (And I am currently overseas in a country without any apple stores and almost no tech support available.)

(Thanks in advance! I saw many helpful responses to others posts over the past year, such that I felt it was finally time to join and ask for myself! I've always found the answers I need here and hope it will be true now also!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Have you ever spilled anything on or near your MacBook? Sounds like the trackpad is just going out and being finicky. My girlfriend spilled something on her MacBook Pro near the trackpad and it was fine at first, but now it hardly works and she has to use a USB mouse. Replacement trackpads are around $60 as I recall. Also, your battery could be swelling up and applying pressure to the trackpad causing it to not work correctly, but I doubt that is what is happening.

I'm not sure of any way to troubleshoot this and know for sure that it is your trackpad dying out. You could just buy a new trackpad and replace it and if it doesn't help then return the trackpad. If you've had the computer for under a year you could have Apple look at it, but this thought doesn't help since you said you're not near Apple stores.

Good luck!

- ImageX

P.S. - If it's just the "click" that isn't working, you could open the computer and adjust the screw on the bottom of the trackpad to see if you're able to click it after adjusting the screw.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If yours is one where the battery is under the trackpad - a swollen battery will also cause this.
If that's the case - it's time to replace the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.