powermac g5

Reaction score
Apple powermac G5
serial number: CK54501CRU0
Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) - Technical Specifications
Apple Serial Number Lookup - MacUpgrades.co.uk
hello from a NOVICE Mac User

I was recently stupid enough to buy a Powermac G5 for £150 without testing it or opening it up, however it was advertised as M9749B/A fully tested and working 2.7 dual core, with 4gb ram (i can see four Ram sticks present), superdrive, wired keyboard and mouse (apple).

Original OSX Panther (3 discs) these are present.
There is a fourth disc= APPLE MAC OS X XCODE TOOLS INSTALL DISC 691-04888-A (dunno what this is for)

The serial number shows it to be this system, Apple Serial Number Lookup - MacUpgrades.co.uk

However on Power Up i could not hear a chime OR get a video signal to a 55 inch hdtv (using a dvi/vga adapter) or a proper DVI monitor.

So opened the case (air baffle is present) but there are no hard drives and no optical drive!
*yes i know i'm stupid.

Note: I think fully working it should be worth £300
Q1. Is the graphics card fried (should i still get a signal without the hdd/optical)
Q.2 What would you advise.....
Option A: should i purchase individual components to test/rebuild and what to purchase first? *what if the cpu is fried or worse not present (i haven't opened that part up yet).
Option B: Buy a fully tested and proven working sytem and sell this one ( i could perhaps get a lesser model and move components to this one? example:Apple POWERMAC G5 1.8 Dual 4GB + 250mb Excellent Cond & all latest software 0718908438534 | eBay
Option C: Shoot myself in the Head:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If there is no chime then it is something else, does on button even light up

OP
S
Reaction score
If there is no chime then it is something else, does on button even light up

Yes power button lights up and fan noise increases gradually to quite loud

Q. Theoretically speaking if evrything was removed from the system, ie Ram, Graphics Card, HDD, etc would you still get the chime, when does the chime kick in?

Reaction score
Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh ac
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB
Good purchase if you can get it working! I got mine at the same price and managed to sell it on for £350! :D Also please don't shoot yourself! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Please try to avoid option C, that should be kept as a last resort as you're about to get eaten in the zombie apocalypse. ;D

There's really no telling what's good and what's bad with the ram and HD removed. Basically, try to get cheap parts (small HD, 512MB or 1GB of ram) to see if it powers up normally. After you have been able to confirm it's either functional or broken, you can start putting some actual decent parts into it. (or sell it as is, people will pay 2x for a working system then they will a broken one)

Good luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This post has a hug information about latest technology. which is most usefull for us. otherwise the complete sit is authentice performer. but the information about animal is not enough.........

???????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.