Video playback issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz 1TB
I have an iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz, I have had it for just over a month.
Today when trying to watch some catch up tv online the video has frozen on 3 separate occasions, twice in full screen mode and once with the video minimised. Its not just a video freeze, the browser becomes completely unresponsive although the sound carries on. I also quit the browser and the sound carried on until i clicked to open up safari again. Im wondering why it is doing this? It has been fine watching videos online before, and also watching videos from this site before.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where are you watching these videos? Are they using Flash to stream the content or is it using something like QuickTime?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, the videos are playing through a Flash player. Have you tried watching them in another browser? Despite being independent, some browsers are better with plugins than others.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, the videos are playing through a Flash player. Have you tried watching them in another browser? Despite being independent, some browsers are better with plugins than others.
Since moving to mac i have just used safari, I always use firefox on windows so i may download that and see if there is any difference.
Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, i tried it in firefox, same problem! It doesn't seem as though its browser specific. After a few minutes of playback the picture froze but sound carried on. I managed to swipe to my desktop where the frozen image from the video was still there behind the dock and top menu bar. The processor got all hung up and became completely unresponsive so i had to do what i don't like doing and just cut the power and turn it back on again.

C

chas_m

The problem is Flash. It is crap.

Best you can do is update to the latest Flash and pray that this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.