Mac Wont Boot after trying to install Windows 7

Reaction score
Ive tried so many things. Ive looked at many forum posts. And I havent seen an answer that works for me. Maybe someone can help.

I have a Mac Mini, circa 2005-2007 somewhere in that range, cant remember. Intell, was running Snow Leopard.

In the past I was able to have windows 7 via boot camp, this time however, After I did the partition, and it told me to insert the Windows disk, so I did, and it restarted, went to a white screen where a briefcase with a ? blinked, and now and then changed to a circle with a line through it(Like a no smoking sign) This continued for a few hours. So, out of patience, I just turned the computer off, figuring I needed to do some other step or something. well now, after that, when I try to turn on my mac, with my external hard drive plugged in, it goes to a black screen that says no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key. Well, Ive tried my snow leopard disk, the origional disk that came with my mac, and the windows disk, nothing happens, I turn it off, unplug my external hard drive, try the option key, nothing happens, it just stays on the blank white screen. Ive tried several of the other start up keys, (Safe mode etc.) And it responds to nothing. Id really like to not have to take it in, so if someone knows of anything I am not thinking of, that would be great! I appreciate your time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you erase OSX or use Bootcamp to install W7?

Try this, hit power and hold down the OPTION key right after the startup sound. Do you see a Boot menu? Keep option down till you see a menu. What choices do you see there?

What keyboard are you using on that mini? Some keyboards like Apples USB Aluminum one will not work at boot up till the OS loads.

Just re-read your post, Be sure to hold OPTION DOWN right after the startup sound. Do it fast as with EFI Firmware it will quickly go to the boot screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do with the external hard drive? Are you trying to boot from it? What's wrong with the internal drive in the Mini?

Also, where are you trying to install Windows 7? Are you trying to install it to the external drive? If you are, that's not going to work as Windows will not normally install to an external drive without doing a work around.

How about explaining to us exactly what's going on and maybe we can help.

OP
J
Reaction score
I used Bootcamp. Windows never actually started installing. I turned the mac off, now it wont do anything, and when I press option at start up nothing happens. And when my external hard drive IS pluged in, it gives me the no bootable device screen. But nothing at all happens when external is NOT plugged in.

I was not using the external harddrive to install windows, I wasnt using the external for anything, I was just explaining that I noticed when the external IS plugged in, it give the black no bootable device screen, and when it is not plugged in, it just stays at the white blank screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing you did not answer. What keyboard do you have? Some even Apple KB's will not work at Startup with some Mini's.

Try this, Hit Power, and quickly hold down Command+Option+P+R. All 4 keys and keep them down. Wait and you will get Startup sounds. Wait for at least 2 Startup sounds or possibly 3 then let go.

Also Chscag asked some important questions also.

PS, I have had your exact issue with a Mini with a failed Windows install and it was the keyboard I was using not working at Startup. I plugged in another keyboard and the option menu came up.

OP
J
Reaction score
OKaym I didnt know about the aluminum usb keyboard thing. Thanks that got option to work at start up. I luckily have another mac keyboard and tht got me to boot back up my mac I appreciate the help! :eek:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OKaym I didnt know about the aluminum usb keyboard thing. Thanks that got option to work at start up. I luckily have another mac keyboard and tht got me to boot back up my mac I appreciate the help! :eek:)

Glad I could help. I ran into that early on with the Aluminum keyboard. The newer ones are even more picky what Macs they work on.

Congrats! Go into Bootcamp and remove the partition and try it again. Are you trying to install to the external? That might be your issue if so with Windows 7. Also what Media is the Windows 7 DVD you are using? Factory at least system builders?

OP
J
Reaction score
No, not trying to install to the external. But I am leaving that unplugged just to be safe. Windows 7 disc is the 32 bit softwre home premium. i bought it, and used to have it installed via bootcamp a few years ago, so I know it works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah ha! I hope I catch you before you log off. I bet we have the same Mini! I had that same black screen when I left my Mac formatted external drive plugged in! I got suspicious and unplugged the external. Then I rebooted and was able to install Windows. Don't ask me why but that is what my mini did. Drive was connected by Firewire. Not sure if that makes any difference at all.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yea It wont work. it tells me to insert the windows disk and click the continue (or restart button) whichever it actually is, and restarts, but it goes to the blank white screen and does nothing. So I restart it again hold option and get back to osx. Not sure if I am missing a step or what, but yea, I cannot get windows to install this time around. :eek:(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you remove the partition in Bootcamp and start over? Since that DVD worked before, it should work again/

Try this but don't install this way. With the Windows 7 DVD in the drive power on and hold option. Select the Windows DVD. Does the installer start? It should. That is how people put only Windows on their macs.

It should go to a Black screen before the installer starts using Bootcamp not white.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just booted directly with a Windows 7 Home Premium DVD. White screen for a few seconds then it goes Black then the installer starts. That was without bootcamp. Try that and see if the DVD will even boot. If not, I wonder if something happened to the DVD over time???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.