Problems installing snow leopard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having problems upgrading from 10.5.8 leopard to 10.6.3 snow leopard in order to upgrade fully to mountain lion 10.8. I know! Im In the stone age! I got a friends 10.6.3 install disks but when I insert them to install I get the message "Mac osx cannot be installed on this computer" - I called - 1800my apple today and ordered snow leopard but won't arrive for another ten days and I need an upgraded operating systems before then to run the most current versions of adobe creative suite and auto desk. does anyone have suggestions as to how to effectively install snow leopard? Thanks for your help in advance!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Afraid not. As you have already found out you need a Retail version of the OS to install on your Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 10.6 from your friend is probably a Gray DVD that is machine specific. I am afraid the only thing you can do is hope the DVD from Apple comes sooner!

OP
N
Reaction score
The 10.6 from your friend is probably a Gray DVD that is machine specific. I am afraid the only thing you can do is hope the DVD from Apple comes sooner!
You're right... They are gray discs. I didn't realize they were machine specific. Is there a way to download snow leopard online?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way to download snow leopard online?

No. Only Lion and Mountain Lion are available as downloads from the Mac App Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.