Macintosh Classic Sound Issues

Reaction score
Hello, I recently got my first mac computer a Macintosh Classic.

I am trying to figure out how to turn the sound up. When I have head phones on, I can faintly hear sound bits when i start the computer up and turn it off.

There is a "program" under System Folder called "Sound" but when I click on it, it says the file could not be opened (the application is busy or missing)

Any help will be appriciated guys. I want to get this thing working 100%

Reaction score
The sound panel is in the control panels. Or it should be in the control panels and not just in the system folder. If you have OS7 theres a control strip on the desktop. That little deally on the left side. Make sure its not in the control panel disabled folder. Look in the extensions manger and make sure its on.

OP
T
Reaction score
thank you for helping me... The About settings say I am running system 6.0.8. I dont see any control panels anywhere.the menu bar has the apple Icon, File, Edit, View, and Special. There are no icons on the screen other than

"Programs" Folder as these subfolders:

System Folder
Utilities Folder
HyperCard
Graphics and Text
Games

There is just the "Sound" Icon in the system folder, but it says its busy or missing.

Grr... Thanks again for helping me figure this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Pull down the Apple menu and you should see a Control Panel option. Select that and you'll see a volume slider on the right side of the control panel.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok Thanks! I noticed it is still low.. maybe 30% of what it should but from the Input, and not much of anything from the internal speaker.

I found this link, for recapping the logic board.

Macintosh Classic Logic Board Repair | Syrinx Systems Blog

Has anyone does this? It says 47 uF caps, but it doesnt list the voltage, there are 16V, 25V, 100V, ect, caps in this range. Can someone help me out with this!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I found this link, for recapping the logic board.

WOW! Even though this is like a 20 year-old computer we are talking about…I had never heard of this sound issue being related to a bad cap.

NICE FIND!!! Thanks for locating & linking it!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.