restoring a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook Pro (8 months) and got into a mess trying to install a program called Parallels which I purchased online. After 6 hours of help from level 1 and then level 2 support, that company admitted they could not help me, and we abandonned
the effort. Now I'd like to delete that program and all it's related "tools" which they installed to try to solve the problem. But wondering...... is there a way to return a Mac to
the factory condition as when purchased, or is this an overkill for a simple problem
I could care for more simply? Everything is completely backed up so nothing to lose.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of difficulties were you having with installing Parallels? And was it the new version, version 8.0?

There's no need to do anything further if you followed the uninstall instructions for removing Parallels. Trying to restore your Mac may lead to more problems.

OP
J
Reaction score
I am new to mac after years of PC. I still need some PC capabilities, so Parallels was suggested. Not sure of the version, but it was the current one in January 2012. Tech support tried for hours to get it to work and loaded quite a few programs to help them explore/work in my computer. I don't know how to uninstall anything and I'm concerned that uninstalling Parallels will not remove whatever else they added.

Finally, I wonder if Parallels is the only option for installing Windows XP on the Mac? Someone
mentioned Boot Camp? I don't want to invest in new Windows because the eventual goal is to
use Mac only, so would like to use my XP disk a while longer. Sorry for the complexity.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you had Parallels from January 2012, it was version 7.X not 8.0. And that may have been why you were having problems with it as that version is not totally compatible with Mountain Lion. As far as uninstalling Parallels... just use their uninstaller or leave it as is. No harm either way.

Also... you can not run XP or Vista on your MBP as they are not compatible with the newer hardware. (no drivers) Right now, you can only run Windows 7 and later on Windows 8 when it's released and Apple updates Boot Camp to fully support it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Is Mountain Lion another word for OS x? They said I have OS X on this machine. Also, I was just searching the Mac site and they said Win XP will work with BootCamp if it has SP2. I think BootCamp is included on this MBP...... If any of this is wrong, please reply as I'm obviously a beginner. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is Mountain Lion another word for OS x? They said I have OS X on this machine.

Yes & no. Yes Mountain Lion is OS X…but there have been 9 different versions of OS X…with Mountain Lion being the newest version (OS X version 10.8).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please refer back to my answer above.... you can not run XP or Vista on that model MBP as they are not supported. The only version of Windows you can run right now is Windows 7. Your hardware is too new and there is no driver support for XP or Vista. Boot Camp is an application which assists in installing Windows, it has nothing to do with which version of Windows is supported.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, that's clear enough. You're the first person that explained why. None of the Parallels "techs"
knew about it. By the way, mine is OS X 10.7.3

So now it's Windows 7 or nothing. Maybe leaving the Mac and the Lenovo running side by side
is what I'll have to do. Many thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.