Trouble with MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I just was handed a relatively new Macbook Pro. Whoever set this up has it running Windows from boot up. I cannot figure out how to turn the machine on and have it go to the Mac OS instead of Windows. If I wanted to run Windows, I would have a PC. I'm a Mac guy, but need help getting this one to boot properly.

Can anyone help please???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5ghz OSX 10.10; Black MacBook (late 2006) OSX 10.6.8
If its installed via Boot Camp, you should be able to change the boot order. Have you tried holding W on startup? Not sure if that works but its what you do to boot into windows when OSX is default.

Good Luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Tried it holding down the "W" and it takes me to a Windows Boot screen displaying the only OS option as Windows 7. I can't get it to the Mac OS from here, but I am assuming it has to still exist somewhere, no???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hold down the Option key just after you hear the startup sound and keep it down. A Boot Menu should pop up in a few seconds. What are your choices from there?

OP
R
Reaction score
It shows the icon for the operating disk, and the only choice is Windows. Is it possible that the Mac OS is completely gone from this machine? If so, I have other new Macs at home with the software they came with. Can I simply start the machine with a disk, wipe windows off of it, and reinstall the Mac OS?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sounds like the owner totally wiped OSX off the Mac and installed Windows on the full drive.

Unfortunately your other OSX DVD's that came with other Macs are model specific and 99% chance will not work.

What is the exact model of that Macbook Pro? Some say you can call Apple and Still purchase a Snow Leopard DVD for $29. Unless it's almost brand new, that would be your best bet. Macs usually will not run with any version of OSX older than what shipped with the machine.

See if you can find the model and specs.

OP
R
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of.

It's about a two month old 15.4" LED version MacBook Pro. It kind of landed on me through a stroke of luck and a trade, so the investment in the OS disks is fine with me because it is an extremely cheap way to get into a new MacBook, but I just want to make sure I am choosing the right thing to get for it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give Apple a call and tell them exactly what model it is and see what they recommend. If it's that new I wonder if Snow Leopard would even install! Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5ghz OSX 10.10; Black MacBook (late 2006) OSX 10.6.8
I successfully bought a copy of SL in August by calling Apple, only problem was that even though they shipped via USPS, they couldn't ship to a PO box so I had to pay $8 more to ship via UPS. After doing some research, it appears SL wont run on the 2012 Macbook Pros because the 10.6 kernel doesn't support ivy bridge processors. Assuming one of your other macs runs Lion or Mountain Lion, why not make a bootable DVD/Flash Drive with this app? Not sure what happens when you insert an OSX installation disc when your mac is running windows, but it might be worth a shot.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was why I said that in my other post. Macs only will boot with the version of OSX they shipped with or newer. Older versions will not work.

Thanks for making that point clear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.