Startup disk is almost full

Reaction score
Hello
I have just started working in Pixelmator digital art program, and have received message " Your startup disk is almost full" and advice to get rid of some files. - I am not quite sure of what to do. Grateful for any advice.
I am using an iMac OSX 10.6.8.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First empty the Trash if you haven't done so. Then go through folders like Downloads and so on and remove files you don't need anymore. Then grab an application like Disk Inventory X and run it on your HD to figure out where all the space is going.

Anything that needs to be saved, move it to an external media or delete what you don't want.

Having your startup disk become full will cause OS X to misbehave is all sorts of ways, all the way to not working at all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello
I have just started working in Pixelmator digital art program, and have received message " Your startup disk is almost full" and advice to get rid of some files. - I am not quite sure of what to do. Grateful for any advice.
I am using an iMac OSX 10.6.8.

Thanks

Hi,

Go Applications>Utlities>Disk Utility, highlight the Macintosh HD drive and check the capacity figures down below. If you are maxxed out then you will need to archive some files and Pictures and Movies are generally the biggest culprits, unless you have ripped all your music in a large lossless format as well?

Don't go deleting any of the OSX proprietary apps because they take up next to nothing and it can cause you problems if you do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Don't go deleting any of the OSX proprietary apps because they take up next to nothing and it can cause you problems if you do.
In other words, only delete content that is in your home folder. You'll also want to refrain from deleting anything that you didn't consciously put there.

OP
T
Reaction score
In other words, only delete content that is in your home folder. You'll also want to refrain from deleting anything that you didn't consciously put there.

Thanks for replies.
I have just used "CleanMyMac", which freed up 3GB of space. Seems ok for the time being. - things are working again now.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.