powermac g5 - disk drive slot wont open

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks in advance - how can i manually get the disk drive slot open?

Have you tried:

- Pushing the keyboard button with the underlined triangle on it? It's usually located above the Delete key…or on the upper row of the number input area.
- Restart the computer…and while it's rebooting…press & hold down the mouse button until the tray opens.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks - but

i should have mentioned the computer doesnt recognize any keyboard/mouse activity.

Have you tried:

- Pushing the keyboard button with the underlined triangle on it? It's usually located above the Delete key…or on the upper row of the number input area.
- Restart the computer…and while it's rebooting…press & hold down the mouse button until the tray opens.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i should have mentioned the computer doesnt recognize any keyboard/mouse activity.

What does work on this thing? So far:

- no mouse
- no keyboard
- no CD drive

Does the computer even work??:(

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
well it was working fine - but i turned it on one morning and all i got was a very loud whining sound - blank screen - and the little light in front blinks???
thanks!

What does work on this thing? So far:

- no mouse
- no keyboard
- no CD drive

Does the computer even work??:(

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well it was working fine - but i turned it on one morning and all i got was a very loud whining sound - blank screen - and the little light in front blinks???
thanks!

The "blinks" will be in a pattern. They will usually blink 1 to 5 times…then repeat. Let us know what blinking pattern you have.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
blinks

the light stays on continually, and blinks brightly every 5 seconds.
the loud whining noise starts after about 3-4 minutes and gets LOUD.
thank you so much for your help -
geoff

The "blinks" will be in a pattern. They will usually blink 1 to 5 times…then repeat. Let us know what blinking pattern you have.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the light stays on continually, and blinks brightly every 5 seconds.

Yes…the light will blink continuously…but it will blink continuously in a set pattern. You need to tell us the pattern…so we can investigate the correct are (detrained by the blinking pattern). We cannot see your computer…so you must tell us.:)

The pattern is usually 1 to 5 blinks in a faster cadence…then there will be a short pause…and then the pattern will repeat.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.