Macbook air a1237 boot issue

Reaction score
I looked high and low for duplicate threading, with no such luck unfortunately.

So I ended up with a macbook air that is currently a deadbook. Got it from a friend to repair. Turning it on I get the chime, then the machine waits about thirty seconds before flashing the ominous folder with a question mark.

I assumed ssd failure, and thus purchased a new drive and installed it. However, this hasn't solved the problem. In addition, all of the hotkeys for booting that I know of, such as control, pressing c or r, etc, don't seem to be working. I can't get a startup menu or recovery to do a remote install or a usb one.

Suggestions for getting the MBA to recognize the file system or at least the drive to get it running?

Thanks
DS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a fairly old MBA you're trying to repair. As a matter of fact, it was the first of the series - Jan 2008. Does your friend have the MBA optical drive that was optional for that machine? (And an original Leopard boot disk.)

OP
S
Reaction score
No on both accounts unfortunately. I might be able to get my hands on one of them from someone else, but I find it odd that I can't get to any boot screens whatsoever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.