CUT pics off MEM CARD instead of COPYING

Reaction score
I like that on the PC I can cut & paste from my mem card to the computer.....on MAC its making me copy which is annoying becuase then I still have to go back and delete them off my mem card when it done & I always get paranoid it didnt transfer so im constantly double checking. How can I cut & paste from me card to my MAC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of memory card are you referring to? The memory card in your camera? A flash drive? Be specific and also tell us which Mac you have and what version of OS X it's running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Are you using right-click/copy there is no cut in right-click. You could use the keyboard and hit command-x for cut and command-v for paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There is a cut paste keyboard command:

CMD+C (copy per usual) then Opt/Alt+CMD V

Doug

P.S. Cut/Paste the way that xdunlapx suggests is for text in documents and not for files or folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Call me superstitious, but I was once moving files and had a power outage...lost a whole lot of data. Copy, paste, then delete is good for me!

C

chas_m

Checco's post is EXACTLY why Apple made copy-paste and not cut-paste the default behaviour.

Reaction score
After the pictures are done uploading to my iMac, it always asks if I want to delete them off the camera or not. At that point you can see if they are on your computer before choosing to delete or not. I leave pretty much all my pictures on the card even after d/l them to my iMac since several years ago the hard drive on my pc crashed and I lost a lot of pictures, but luckily I still had some of them on the memory card like my brother's wedding, so I always keep multiple copies, just in case.

OP
A
Reaction score
IMac 27"

What kind of memory card are you referring to? The memory card in your camera? A flash drive? Be specific and also tell us which Mac you have and what version of OS X it's running.

Its an IMac 27" which I just bought so its whatever the newest OX is....is dont even know how to find it on my Mac lol. Yes, its a camera card. I click the icon on my desktop for the memory card, select all the pictures & then I want to cut them off the card & paste them into a folder instead of copying & pasting them into a new folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You'll need a program like total finder. Finder does not cut/paste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Call me superstitious, but I was once moving files and had a power outage...lost a whole lot of data. Copy, paste, then delete is good for me!

I totally agree with @Checco. During my windows days I once cut important files and while paste is still in progress an error suddenly occured. I did everything to find and recover it but I lost all the files :(

Reaction score
Do you put your memory card in the memory card slot or are you using a card reader? I always put my card in the card slot, it brings up iphoto and the pictures and asks which I want to copy/ download to the iMac, and after it's done, it asks if I want to delete the pics from the memory card or not. I haven't had any problems with this method and while I am a relatively new Apple user, I've done this with Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion.

Your way just sounds confusing to me, but even when I had a PC my camera software and/ or printer would recognize new pics on the memory card and copy/ download them to my pc in whatever folder I designated, so the method that my iMac uses with iPhoto is familiar with me. Humans are creatures of habit and like things the way they like things. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You'll need a program like total finder. Finder does not cut/paste

Says who? I do it all the time. Again, copy as usual.. Cmd+C then opt+cmd+v instead of just cmd+v and there's your move vs copy, which is essentially cut. Just that the order is backward, somewhat.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally agree with @Checco. During my windows days I once cut important files and while paste is still in progress an error suddenly occured. I did everything to find and recover it but I lost all the files :(

And then there are those of us whom have never experienced such an unfortunate experience and prefer to be treated like adults who are capable of making decisions for themselves, knowing fully well what the consequences very well may be.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Says who? I do it all the time. Again, copy as usual.. Cmd+C then opt+cmd+v instead of just cmd+v and there's your move vs copy, which is essentially cut. Just that the order is backward, somewhat.

Doug

Oh yeah, for some reason my brain was locked around right click

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I quit using cut except for snippets of text for the same reason years ago. With my camera cards, I copy and then format the card when I put it back in the camera to take care of clearing them. Just different strokes...

C

chas_m

Though I've never had a problem transferring pictures from a card to a computer, I've heard DOZENS of horror stories about lost pics from PC users who cut and paste, so I'm grateful that I've never had the issue. My preferred method of transferring pictures is to use iPhoto, which by default leaves the pictures on the card AND copies them into iPhoto. At the END of the process I am offered the option to delete the pictures off the card, which makes a lot more sense to me as I can see that the pictures transferred successfully BEFORE I delete them. When it comes to digital pictures, really you can't be too safe.

I often opt NOT to delete the pictures off the card during the iPhoto import and instead put the card back in my camera and erase the card from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
And then there are those of us whom have never experienced such an unfortunate experience and prefer to be treated like adults who are capable of making decisions for themselves, knowing fully well what the consequences very well may be.

Doug

As bobtomay said, different strokes. Although we're also adults.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why even remove the card from the camera?

Hook up to the iMac and transfers everything over automatically and then when all is safely transferred use camera menu to format the card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why even remove the card from the camera?

Hook up to the iMac and transfers everything over automatically and then when all is safely transferred use camera menu to format the card.

Transferring files directly from a camera is the best way to corrupt data if ever there was a way. I'd never recommend doing things that way.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I prefer to use Image Capture - easy to see preview thumbnails, deletes after transfer (if required), drops pictures straight into an existing or new folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.