Soon to be new Mac user

R

ryandowler05

I'm going to get a new 12" iBook sometime next week. I've never owned an apple before. I've heard that Macs are more stable, less prone to crashing and viruses. Is there any thing else that makes Macs better than PCs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The argument that they are "More Stable" or "Less Prone to Crashes" is purely subjective. Much of what makes a Windows XP system crash or become unstable is due to viruses, spyware or poorly written software. Since Mac are generally not susceptible to any of these things (poorly written software will rarely bring the system down), they may seem more stable and to crash less often. The only true way to tell is to have lots of security on your PC, lots of Anti-Virus protection, and make sure you run it all at least once a day if not more.

When comparing two clean systems, say WinXP and OSX, they are both quite stable platforms with a low risk of a random crash. The Windows box is much more susceptible to all the nasty things out there though.

OP
R

ryandowler05

baggss said:
The argument that they are "More Stable" or "Less Prone to Crashes" is purely subjective. Much of what makes a Windows XP system crash or become unstable is due to viruses, spyware or poorly written software. Since Mac are generally not susceptible to any of these things (poorly written software will rarely bring the system down), they may seem more stable and to crash less often. The only true way to tell is to have lots of security on your PC, lots of Anti-Virus protection, and make sure you run it all at least once a day if not more.

When comparing two clean systems, say WinXP and OSX, they are both quite stable platforms with a low risk of a random crash. The Windows box is much more susceptible to all the nasty things out there though.

thanks

OP
J

jn4jenny

ryandowler05 said:
I'm going to get a new 12" iBook sometime next week. I've never owned an apple before. I've heard that Macs are more stable, less prone to crashing and viruses. Is there any thing else that makes Macs better than PCs?

Well, one thing that makes them potentially worse is their expense, which is why you might want to wait at least a week to buy your iBook. Apple is on the cusp of releasing its first Intel-based Macs, which will almost certainly be iBooks, and there is rampant speculation that these new iBooks will be about $200 cheaper. I'm not saying you should buy this new iBook, because it's possible (even probable) that the new iBook will be buggy. But the point is that many Mac users WILL run out and buy that new Intel iBook, which means the used market could be flooded with their discounted PowerPC G4 iBooks (some of which will be practically new because many Apple buyers DON'T keep track of the press conferences and will foolishy buy before the announcement is made), and Apple might even discount the G4 iBooks in an effort to get rid of them.

OP
R

ryandowler05

jn4jenny said:
Well, one thing that makes them potentially worse is their expense, which is why you might want to wait at least a week to buy your iBook. Apple is on the cusp of releasing its first Intel-based Macs, which will almost certainly be iBooks, and there is rampant speculation that these new iBooks will be about $200 cheaper. I'm not saying you should buy this new iBook, because it's possible (even probable) that the new iBook will be buggy. But the point is that many Mac users WILL run out and buy that new Intel iBook, which means the used market could be flooded with their discounted PowerPC G4 iBooks (some of which will be practically new because many Apple buyers DON'T keep track of the press conferences and will foolishy buy before the announcement is made), and Apple might even discount the G4 iBooks in an effort to get rid of them.
thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.