Multiple Computers OSX Mountain Lion? help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a mac mini on ebay and it was loaded with osx lion. I upgraded the system to osx mountain lion by purchasing it from the app store. As it turns out, this mac didn't work out for me and I've decided to go with a macbook air for more portability. Therefore, this computer will be sold back on ebay when I get around to it.

On apple's website it states that you can upgrade multiple computers with osx mountain lion. Once mountain lion is installed I'm assuming there is no going back since this mac mini doesn't have a disc drive. Is it legal to upgrade a computers operating system and then sell it? If this is the okay, why aren't all apples with sufficient hardware requirements on ebay ready to go with mountain lion? I know you can install it on multiple computers but I'm trying to make sure that this is legal and ethical.

Please help.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
AS long as you have purchased Mountain Lion then its entirely legal for you to sell it on with that OS installed

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. It just seems odd that all the resellers on ebay wouldn't upgrade the computers with mountain lion osx if it's free to upgrade unlimited macs once you've purchased.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay, thanks. It just seems odd that all the resellers on ebay wouldn't upgrade the computers with mountain lion osx if it's free to upgrade unlimited macs once you've purchased.

As an individual user…once you've purchased ML...you're allowed to ONLY install ML on the Macintosh computers you own in your own household.

Resellers on e-Bay are a completely different matter. To be in compliance…they would either need to purchase some sort of multi-user/volume site license…or purchase a separate $19 ML upgrade for each computer they sell.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.