Installing Windows from Virtualisation onto bootcamp partition - formatting problem!

Reaction score
Hello!

I hope I can describe this well enough.

I'm in the situation of trying to install Windows 7 from a disk image I've made as my superdrive is totally dead. I'm running 10.7.4.

Currently what I've done is basically the first chunk of steps from this post:
Installing Windows 7 on MacBook Pro without SuperDrive | CommitBlog

I get hung up on the windows installer right away though. When I'm installing windows into my raw disk (bootcamp.vmdk) I get this:

"Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057"

I've tried reformatting the partition I made with boot camp assistant to NTFS preemptively with Paragon NTFS in hopes that the installer would skip the formatting step, but no dice.

Any thoughts on how to move forward here? Is there a permissions change that I somehow haven't made? I can't seem to find any documentation or posts on anyone in exactly this situation.

This is a really pressing problem actually, so quick responses are especially appreciated!

All the best and thanks in advance

-Ijnad

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

It's definitely complicated. I am using Virtual Box, but I need to get an actual dual boot system going. The only way that I've been able to find to make this happen without a cd drive is by installing FROM the virtual box machine onto a separately created boot camp partition. Does that make sense? Maybe read one of the posts I linked there for a better explanation, I'm in a little over my head to be honest I think!

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I've actually resolved this!

Well, not that I fixed the original problem, really. But I was able to hack into Boot camp assistant and convinve it to let me make a bootable Windows 7 Usb key and install from that!

peace

-Ijnad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.