Ghost shift key always on

Reaction score
I was cleaning my keyboard and it was one of the last keys I had to clean. Every other one I cleaned works fine but for some reason the shift key is now permanently on. I cant plug in a usb keyboard and use that but I wanna try and get this problem fixed. I have a Mid 2009 15" Macbook Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What did you use to clean the keyboard? If you used any type of liquid cleaner or even a dampened cloth, some moisture may have gotten into the keyboard causing damage to the contact. My advice is to turn the machine off and let it dry for a day or so. Hopefully the shift key will begin to work properly again.

OP
J
Reaction score
I cleaned the plastic pieces with water but I dried everything really well before putting them back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ohh dear water and electronics are a fatal mixture. Best way of cleaning between keys and keyboard is a nice soft brush.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ohh dear water and electronics are a fatal mixture. Best way of cleaning between keys and keyboard is a nice soft brush.

Yeah as I said I dried the pieces I got wet so there was no water contact to the actual electronics It was only the plastic part of the keys that I cleaned.

Now Im also noticing some other problems.

No video or music player will play anymore it will just stand there loading or even if it finishes loading it wont start playing. Also when I open my launchpad and try to switch to my second page it lags really bad. I spilled juice on it months ago but quickly took it apart dried it and it was fine I had no damage done this could possibly be a result of that but that happened months ago and I haven't had issues up until now so I don't know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Spills have a way of causing problems later on even when it seems like everything is OK. I can't tell you positively if the juice spill awhile ago is now rearing its ugly head, but it's a strong possibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.