• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

can I download & edit video from a DVD?

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook Pro and was given a homemade DVD by a friend who filmed video of various high school band events. I would like these hours of tape into a 10-minute sampler. Is it possible to download the video onto my laptop and then use iDVD or iMovie or some other software to edit it into a shorter film that I could then burn onto another DVD or post to youtube?

C

chas_m

Sure thing. Handbrake (free) should be able to do this for you (may require installing the also-free VLC for its libraries; no big deal). This will convert the DVD's movies into MP4 files that iMovie (et al) can edit and iDVD (et al) can burn. If you post to YouTube, you can do that from iMovie directly.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've also done this using MPEG Streamclip. You can find a How To describing the process at ATPM 12.03 - How To: Performing a Video Extraction. At the time I saved the clips in DV format because iMovie handled these files well. Current versions of iMovie will handle mp4 if I remember correctly.

The thing that I like about MPEG Streamclip is that it has some very basic editing features right in the program,. You can trim the footage down to the clips that you want from inside the program. It is nowhere near as full-featured as iMovie but might be all you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.