Safari 6.0 won't load certain pages - Twitter, Google Maps, Pandora

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently started having problems with Safari and specific webpages. Namely, Google Maps, Twitter and Pandora.

In the case of Google Maps and Twitter the problem arises when I want to do a search and have the results displayed. After submitting the search the new page with the results will begin to load, but never completely load. So on Google Maps I type in an address and then a new page will load, but only a small empty box in the upper left hand corner loads, with the rest of the page blank. On Twitter, when I search a new page will load, the header section loads and then nothing else below. In both cases I have reloaded the page several times with no effect. On Pandora, the initial page will load and then I can not log in and other links are also unresponsive.
aI have tried reseting Safari from the Safari -> Reset Safari menu to no avail.

While these pages don't work in Safari they work perfectly in Chrome, so I don't imagine its related to my network, as well Ive checked through several different internet connections.

As I like the benefits of iCloud I prefer to stick with Safari.

I am using Safari 6.0 and Mountain Lion 10.8.1 on a Macbook Pro 15" mid-2010.

Any other ideas of how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried to reset Safari as yet ?
From the Safari>Reset Safari and it will bring up a window where you can check and uncheck certain things.
Have a look at that and reset Safari and see if that changes anything. As well you can try grabbing the com.apple.Safari.plist and dragging it to your desktop.
First quit Safari and then look for the .plist
That can be found Finder>Go then hold down the Option key and the Hidden Library will appear. Click on Library>Preferences and then in the Spotlight window top right of that window copy and paste com.apple.Safari.plist into it. Once its found, drag the .plist to your desktop.

Now open Safari again and see if it still happens. What happens there is when you open Safari again, a new .plist is created, so if that fixes it, drag the .plist from your desktop to the trash, and if it doesnt work you can do the same or put back the one you just dragged out......
If after all that you still having problems, be sure to call back and we will see where too go next.

HTH

Cheers

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi TatooedMac,

Thanks so much for your reply. I had actually tried reseting Safari prior with no luck. Now I tried your suggestion to drag out the .plist file, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I did notice another file with the exact same name with a .lockfile at the end of it, if that may have anything to add to the discussion?

Do you have any other thoughts? It seems like an arbitrary error to me, unless those particular pages use some specific web technology that is malfunctioning on my particular system?

Is it possible to reinstall Safari maybe wiping out the problem that way?

Sincerely
Oren

OP
O
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I actually figured out the problem on my own. I had a pop-up blocker extension installed on Safari, and when I removed it everything began working fine.

All the best

Reaction score
Safari 6.0 and Pandora

Thanks for the information HTH. I had a similar problem with launching Pandora using Safari 6.0, it would launch and hang. I had the popup blocker disabled as required. I followed your instructions and removed the "plist". This allowed a Pandora pop up to work, interestingly enough I was notified that I needed to upgrade my Flashplayer, which I thought was up to date, but once I did this Pandora launched.

Thanks again!

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried to reset Safari as yet ?
From the Safari>Reset Safari and it will bring up a window where you can check and uncheck certain things.
Have a look at that and reset Safari and see if that changes anything. As well you can try grabbing the com.apple.Safari.plist and dragging it to your desktop.
First quit Safari and then look for the .plist
That can be found Finder>Go then hold down the Option key and the Hidden Library will appear. Click on Library>Preferences and then in the Spotlight window top right of that window copy and paste com.apple.Safari.plist into it. Once its found, drag the .plist to your desktop.

Now open Safari again and see if it still happens. What happens there is when you open Safari again, a new .plist is created, so if that fixes it, drag the .plist from your desktop to the trash, and if it doesnt work you can do the same or put back the one you just dragged out......
If after all that you still having problems, be sure to call back and we will see where too go next.

HTH

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.