SO for imac g5 3rd generation with 2,5 ram memory

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought an imac g5 3rd generation with 2.5 gb of ram and intel processor.

I wonder what the last operating system that can handle this imac.

And where can I get the media to perform the installation, since the system is installed and the tiger is in trouble, not booting.

I have only a windows machine, i can prepare a dvd install only in windows, if possible of course.

Thank you, very much.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought an imac g5 3rd generation with 2.5 gb of ram and intel processor.

Sorry…but no you didn't. It's either a G5 or an Intel based iMac…it cannot be both. We need the exact specs of this computer before we can answer the OS question.

I wasn't 100% sure if you can boot this computer. If you can...most of this info is found under the "Apple" menu…then select "About This Mac".

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
so in mac g5

Sorry…but no you didn't. It's either a G5 or an Intel based iMac…it cannot be both. We need the exact specs of this computer before we can answer the OS question.

I wasn't 100% sure if you can boot this computer. If you can...most of this info is found under the "Apple" menu…then select "About This Mac".

- Nick

hello Nick,

no, i dont can boot my imac.

The machine is a IMAC G5, with 2,5 memory ram and intel processor core 2 duo. The EMC of this machine is 2114 and the last three caracters of serial number is VUX.

This link show the configuration of machine. iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 17-Inch Specs (Late 2006, MA590LL, iMac5,1, A1208, 2114) @ EveryMac.com

This machine have a tiger so (10.4.11) but i dont can boot it.

I want a upgrade of SO, but my doubt is; wath SO my IMAC can run? How to install this SO? i have only one machine with windows for proced with preparation of install disc, because my IMAC not boot.

Thanks..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The machine is a IMAC G5, with 2,5 memory ram and intel processor core 2 duo.

Again…this iMac cannot be both a "G5" and an "Intel". These are two different processors. The "G5" cpu came before the "Intel" cpu with iMac models. It does appear that you have an "Intel iMac"…and you need to do is stop using the "G5" terminology.:)

This machine have a tiger so (10.4.11) but i dont can boot it.

If this computer has "Tiger" on it…how do you know if it will not boot? You have to be able to boot the computer to know what OS is installed on it.

I want a upgrade of SO, but my doubt is; wath SO my IMAC can run?

I think that you mean "OS". Although you have said "SO" 5x in this thread so far.

How to install this SO?

You need to purchase an OS (operating system) install disk. You would be best purchasing Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)…you MUST call Apple at their "800" number to purchase it…since it is no longer for sale.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Again…this iMac cannot be both a "G5" and an "Intel". These are two different processors. The "G5" cpu came before the "Intel" cpu with iMac models. It does appear that you have an "Intel iMac"…and you need to do is stop using the "G5" terminology.:)

If this computer has "Tiger" on it…how do you know if it will not boot? You have to be able to boot the computer to know what OS is installed on it.

I think that you mean "OS". Although you have said "SO" 5x in this thread so far.

You need to purchase an OS (operating system) install disk. You would be best purchasing Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)…you MUST call Apple at their "800" number to purchase it…since it is no longer for sale.

Good luck,

- Nick

Sorry for "SO", i am a brazilian citzen, i speak brasilian portuguese (sistema operacional). My english is very bad. Sorry.

I know the OS tiger is installed because i boot this machine with a hachintosh boot cd, im press f8 in the hachintosh boot and chose hd boot, the machine run. But not boot more. I dont know what i make.

about the terminology G5, i read in the apple site: have a g5 1st generation (power pc), 2nd generation (power pc), and 3rd generation (power pc and intel). G5 not is a processor, its a model of mac.

You can see in the link; Como identificar o seu iMac

You think the OS Snow Leopard run in my MAC? i can install normaly, boot for dvd and format hd and install?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for "SO", i am a brazilian citzen, i speak brasilian portuguese (sistema operacional). My english is very bad. Sorry

I understand.:)

I know the OS tiger is installed because i boot this machine with a hachintosh boot cd,

We do not discuss anything "hackintosh" related here at Mac-Forums. If this is mentioned again…I will have to close the thread.

about the terminology G5, i read in the apple site: have a g5 1st generation (power pc), 2nd generation (power pc), and 3rd generation (power pc and intel). G5 not is a processor, its a model of mac.

I don't know why you are debating me on this! I've been working with Macintosh computers since 1986…I KNOW my Macintosh computer models!!! If your iMac has an Intel cpu…then "G5" terminology has nothing to do with it!

And by the way…"G5" does refer to the processor. There was a "G3", then "G4", then "G5", then "Intel". The "G" refers to the generation of the PowerPC processor. PowerPC processors were made by an Apple–IBM–Motorola alliance. Intel processors are made by Intel…VERY different.

The terms "G5" and "Intel" DO NOT get used at the same time…when discussing an individual Macintosh computer model. It is EITHER a "G5" based iMac OR an "Intel" based iMac (NOT BOTH)!

You think the OS Snow Leopard run in my MAC? i can install normaly, boot for dvd and format hd and install?

I KNOW it can run Snow Leopard! If this iMac has an Intel cpu…then it can & will run Snow Leopard!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
R
Reaction score
mac os in

I understand.:)

We do not discuss anything "hackintosh" related here at Mac-Forums. If this is mentioned again…I will have to close the thread.

I don't know why you are debating me on this! I've been working with Macintosh computers since 1986…I KNOW my Macintosh computer models!!! If your iMac has an Intel cpu…then "G5" terminology has nothing to do with it!

And by the way…"G5" does refer to the processor. There was a "G3", then "G4", then "G5", then "Intel". The "G" refers to the generation of the PowerPC processor. PowerPC processors were made by an Apple–IBM–Motorola alliance. Intel processors are made by Intel…VERY different.

The terms "G5" and "Intel" DO NOT get used at the same time…when discussing an individual Macintosh computer model. It is EITHER a "G5" based iMac OR an "Intel" based iMac (NOT BOTH)!

I KNOW it can run Snow Leopard! If this iMac has an Intel cpu…then it can & will run Snow Leopard!

- Nick

Thanks for information Nick, i ha install the mac os lion 10.7 and run perfect.

OP
R
Reaction score
mac os

If it is an EMC 2114 mac it is an Intel version and can run lion 10.7

Make sure its not a G5 but an Intel powered Mac and call Apple Brasil, they should still sell you a proper retail disk for Lion

Apple Store Brasil Oficial - Comprar o Novo iPad, iPhone, iPod, Computadores e Notebooks Mac e mais direto da Loja Apple - Apple Store (Brasil)

Whatever you do dont use hackintosh disks, they are both against Apples license and no use on a genuine Mac

Thanks for information.

I used a hacintosh only for prepare a boot disk for lion 10.7.

I intalled the Lion 10.7 and run perfect.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.