modem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
i have a D-Link DSL 2740B wireless modem and every time we have a power failure or a possum drops on to the lines we get a black out and the modem crashes wipes its self clean ( as in new from the box ) and has to be completely booted up just like a new one from the box!!!!!!!
my question is how do i stop this from always happening??????
cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I dont know why the router is setting itself back to its defaults but it is a good idea to save its settings, that way you can do a quick restore when those dastardly possums hit again

Once the router is configured you can save the configuration settings to a configuration file on your hard drive. You also have the option to load
configuration settings, or restore the factory default settings.

To access the SAVE/RESTORE SETTINGS setting window, click on the Save/Restore Settings button under the MAINTENANCE tab.
SAVE/RESTORE CONFIGURATION

Click on the Save button to Save Settings to Local Hard Drive. You will be prompted to select a location on your computer to put the file. You may name the configuration file anything you like.

Click on the Browse button to browse to the configuration file in the PC and click on the Update Settings button to load settings from local hard drive. Confirm that you want to load the file when prompted and the process will complete automatically. The Router will reboot and begin operating with the configuration settings that have just been loaded.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...every time we have a power failure or a possum drops on to the lines we get a black out and the modem crashes wipes its self clean...

my question is how do i stop this from always happening??????
cheers.

Shoot those darn possum's!!!;) Sorry…I couldn't resist!;)

As far as the modem. Do you mean a wireless router? If so…I've never had a problem with my router settings disappearing after a power failure. I believe that the settings in a router are what I would call "hard-saved" since they are stored in flash memory rather than something more volatile like spinning hard drive.

- Nick

OP
bluecheer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
cheers to 'pigoo3' and 'louishen' for that infomation... quite regular possums do this where i live in the adelaide hills..shoot them well probably not but they are a pain.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...quite regular possums do this where i live in the adelaide hills..shoot them well probably not but they are a pain.

I've been meaning to visit Australia.:) I think that I've got to add possum hunting to my list of activities when I finally get there!!!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can sympathize with the OP about those miserable Possums. Had one here in Fort Worth chew through coax cable coming into my house from the main multiplex box place there by Verizon. (My internet provider.) My service was down two days until Verizon made repairs.

Also, the nasty critters drive my cat crazy and the neighbor dogs to barking as they roam around at night looking for food. In case anyone is not familiar with Possums, they're nocturnal creatures. Don't know about the Australian variety but ones here in Texas can get pretty big.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.