iphoto

Reaction score
I am a new MAC user (Mountain Lion0 and have just succesfully downloaded my first batch of photos BUT I now have a Warning icon on my Dock which shows a Console (I have not come across this before). I think it happened because I did not disconnected my camera properly and it has given me a warning which I do not understand.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you.
BB

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What does the warning say? If it's something about properly disconnecting the device or something, you can ignore it. The next time you plug your camera in should an icon appear on the Desktop, you can drag that to the Trash can when you want to eject or eject it from Finder in the left sidebar..

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Although I'm running Lion (10.7.5), I have the latest version of iPhoto and the camera is also shown within iPhoto near the top of the list on the left. Another way of ejecting it (also called unmounting) is to click on the camera name - this opens a tiny window which says "unmount". Click that and the job's done. Just yet another way of doing the same thing.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Safely disconnecting a camera query

Thank you both for your response. The message said " The disk was not properly ejected if possible always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off. Then it said that my Mac would try to repair any damage to my camera when I next attached it - which I just have.

I could not see an icon on the Desktop to move to Trash but there was an "untitled" item under the Devices section of my Finder window. Was I supposed to identify the camera make, model etc so that it's name would appear please? When I dragged this item towards the Trash the Trash name changed to Eject so maybe this is OK now?

I do not know if there is any damage to my camera but it seems OK.

However the Black Warning square is still on my Dock and when I open it there are so many transactions listed and none of it means anything to me anyway.

If you have any idea of what has gone wrong please could you let me know. Thank you once again.

BB

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, yeah the warning message can be ignored. You can't really set the name of the device you plugged in, sometimes OS X will figure it out and if it can't, it will just call it UNTITLED and that's fine. Drag that to the Trash or hit the Eject button in Finder to make OS X happy..

I'm not sure what the black warning square is though and a screenshot would be most helpful. If you can open up the contents and expand it to take up the entire screen. You can then take a screenshot by hitting CMD+SHIFT+3 and it will save the image to your desktop. Now attach the screenshot here and we can help further..

OP
B
Reaction score
Black box warning square on my Dock

Hello again,

Thank you for your reply - when I switched my Mac on earlier the warning message re disconnecting the camera had gone but the Black Warning square is still on my Dock.

When I move the mouse arrow towards it the word Console comes up and when I opened it up it shows a very detailed log of my computer activity. I have taken a screen shot as you recommended and have tries to attach it using the Manage Attachments button but I an not sure if it has worked because the file name ends in .log.

Thank once again
BB

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a .log file containing text, then you can use a site like http://pastebin.com to dump that information there and then provide us with a link to take a look at the text..

OP
B
Reaction score
Black box warning square on my Dock

Hello RazOrEdge,

Thank you for your reply, Yesterday I was out and only switched MAC on when I got back. I seem to have solved the problem somehow as the Warning Box has gone.

When I tried to print something I noticed that my Wi-Fi printer had somehow gone Offline - maybe an adverse side effect of my pulling out the camera without properly ejecting the Device???

I deleted the printer and re-installed it and so far no more nasty warnings.

Next time I download some photos I will be more careful and retain your:[
instructions on converting a log into a doc which is very useful.

Thanks once again.
Bristol Bruce

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.