2nd Ethernet Port problem

Reaction score
My internet service is through AT&T and they require that you have their 2Wire modem/router combo as part of their service. It had been fine until recently when a power outage apparently killed its Wireless functionality.

Instead of bother with having them replace it with another 2Wire turd, I'm simply trying to use my old Linksys WRT160N wireless router as an access point for wireless.

So to do that, I have to got through these steps:

from user SomeJoe7777 over on forums.att.com
"1. Turn off DHCP on your router.
2. Change the link between the 2Wire router and your router to use the LAN ports on both ends. (In other words, plug the cable from one of the LAN ports of the 2Wire to one of the LAN ports of your router. Leave your router's WAN port empty).
3. Change the LAN IP address of your router to a static IP on the same subnet as the 2Wire router. For example, if the 2Wire router is using 192.168.1.x, and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253, set your router to 192.168.1.10.
4. If necessary, configure the wireless parameters on your router, such as SSID, encryption, pre-shared key, and MAC filtering."

The problem that I am running into now, is that my 2nd ethernet port on my Mac Pro does not recognize the IP for the 2nd router when trying to access it with my browser (The Linksys) unless I unplug the first Ethernet port (disconnecting my 2Wire) and access it through that port (the first port).

I don't know if there is some protocol I'm missing or if the 2nd Ethernet port is messed up. It seems to be fine. It reads the device, and gives me the IP address - so I'm not sure how to proceed.

I do have a PC laptop which can access the router, but I don't believe that solves anything other than knowing it's not the router at fault.

Screenshot165.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
Additional info, I tried the 2Wire into the 2nd ethernet port and it reads fine in system preferences > network - but the same thing happens when trying to access that router's IP with my browswer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I never found out exactly what the problem was but it ended up not mattering. I simply just switched the routers in and out as needed until all configurations were complete.

But if anyone can shed any light on the 2nd ethernet port issue, that would be cool, but I now have wireless up and running again through my linksys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.