What is the best computer for me to purchase?

Reaction score
I just sold my first generation MacBook Pro and looking to get a new on this week. I am told I can use a college discount and that i should purchase a refurbished computer from the apple store.
I mainly use my computer for music, work, and school. So I dont need it to preform the best but I want something that will last like my last one did. The problem I can with my last computer is that I ran out of space and it started to run super slow. Maybe the age of it had something to do with that. But i want to avoid that at all costs. Im not interestd in a macbook air at all really.
I am told that the flash storage is the way to go and thats what I need to look for. I would idealy like to buy a pro and upgrade the flash memory if thats possible. Anyone have any suggestions on what the best purchase would be? Spending within $1400 would be great.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We need to know more about your needs & budget limitations:

1. Desktop or laptop computer?
2. Do you need an optical drive?
3. 13" or 15" display (if a laptop)?
4. 21" or 27" display (if an iMac)?
5. What's your max. budget?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum. Not a Switcher forum topic.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
My max budget is 1800 I would like spend closer to 1000 though. I would like an optical drive but its not my biggest need. A laptop is what im looking for. Never had a desk top before

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My max budget is 1800 I would like spend closer to 1000 though. I would like an optical drive but its not my biggest need. A laptop is what im looking for. Never had a desk top before

With a desire to spend closer to $1000 & not interested in a MacBook Air...you only have one choice among brand new models...and that's the 13" 2.5ghz i5 MacBook Pro @ $1199. Of course you would have to add sales tax...and subtract your student discount to get the final amount.

As you mentioned...you could also consider a refurbished computer. You need to look thru the current refurbished list to see what works for you (the models available as refurbished can change day by day...hour by hour).

If you wanted a laptop with "dedicated" graphics hardware (for better graphics performance when needed)...you would have to get a 15" MacBook Pro (all 13"MacBook Pro's only have integrated graphics hardware...which isn't as fast as dedicated graphics hardware). There are a number of refurbished 15" MBP's in the $1300 to $1500 range.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
I would take the mid 2012 Macbook Pro 13” , i5 ,2,5 GHZ, with the 500 MB (5400rpm) hard disk (1199 USD)

I would then take the superdrive out, and install a 256 GB SSD disk as your primary drive (around 250 USD) You can then put the superdrive in a caddy (25 USD) for those time when you would really need it.

In such a case you will have a very capable Macbook Pro (for your needs) with a speedy main SSD drive (for your apps and OS), and the 500 GB drive could then be used as your secondary drive (for pictures, videos, music etc). No need, in your case to get an i7 processor

I think with this option you would be spending a little above 1400 USD with a laptop you can use for years (and enough hard disk space to last a long time)

PS I am intending to the same with my current mid 2012 MacbookPro 13” i5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.