Do/ did PowerBooks ship with a really long Quicktime Pro trial?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I'm currently running a PowerBook G4, last rev. (the non-"high res" model) I got the thing in late-August, and from the begining I've been using all of Quicktime's features, including the "Pro" features. I figured that "oh, my PowerBook shipped with Quicktime Pro, cool." I never bothered to check the website, so I couldn't tell you if it did ship with Pro.

In late December, I send my PowerBook in to get it repaired, as I had the lower-slot RAM issue with my logic board, before I sent it in, I was prying around my hard drive to move some things to my external and clean it up a bit. I ended up watching a few videos, in full screen (a Pro-only feature).

I get my PowerBook back after about 2-3 weeks (**** it started to feel like I'd never get it back, and now I look at it and it was so short...), and go to watch some old Apple commercials I have, go under "View" and the "Full Screen" option is grayed out. Next to it is the "Pro" icon. I click on it, and up comes a "Buy Quicktime Pro" ad.

So I'm trying to figure out if I had some really long trial, or if there's a license issue, or... what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Actually, there is no Quicktime Pro trial, and no Mac (inlcuding PowerMacs and PowerBooks) comes with a Pro license. It is really surprising that you had Pro enabled on your PowerBook without purchasing a license.

It is even more surprising that it doesn't work anymore, as changing the logic board does not imply reinstalling the OS (and thus having to enter the license information again).

Really strange...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Avalon said:
Actually, there is no Quicktime Pro trial, and no Mac (inlcuding PowerMacs and PowerBooks) comes with a Pro license. It is really surprising that you had Pro enabled on your PowerBook without purchasing a license.

It is even more surprising that it doesn't work anymore, as changing the logic board does not imply reinstalling the OS (and thus having to enter the license information again).

Really strange...

That was my main issue. No matter how it got on there, nothing is reinstalled if a logic board, so it should still be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.