My screen goes black

Reaction score
Hi,

for the last 2 weeks my macbook screen has been going black. Then it's as if there is a shadow over the screen and if I look really carefully I can see the windows behind. This happens randomly and has nothing to do with long use or overheating. Sometimes it happens soon after turning it on. Under the "save battery" I have turned everything off. The screen is set on color LCD.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, when you connect the laptop to an external screen, does it then work? I don't have the cables and before I pay 30 euros for a new cable it would be good to know if it's going to work:

Hope someone can help.

KG

Hardware-Übersicht:

Modellname: MacBook
Modell-Identifizierung: MacBook4,1
Prozessortyp: Intel Core 2 Duo
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,4 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 2
L2-Cache: 3 MB
Speicher: 4 GB
Busgeschwindigkeit: 800 MHz
Boot-ROM-Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC-Version (System): 1.31f1
Seriennummer (System):
Hardware-UUID: CFF2D15B-AA25-55BE-A50F-DFC4D17F4B08
Sensor für plötzliche Bewegung:

Reaction score
It could be that your display inverter is going bad.
Repairs will cost around 500DM but if your a DIY person, the part is around 70DM, but are cheaper to get secondhand.
A repair walkthrough can be found here...Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Display - iFixit

But I can tell you right now, you'd have to know what you're doing, and before venturing this option it would be prudent to seek some professional advice.

SM

OP
K
Reaction score
My screen goes Black

Many thanks SurMac3 for the answer to my question.

I've found that my screen only goes black now when it get a slight jolt. This can be putting it on the table or just titling the screen back a little to as far as it will go. I therefore assume there is a loose contact somewhere. Luckily it only happens once or twice a week and I only have to close the laptop screen for a second or two and then its OK. It's a bit annoying when I am on Skype, but otherwise OK! I think I'll leave it like this rather than risk opening up the laptop and trying to repair it.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.