Swapping SSD/HDD from 13" MBP (Early 2011) to Another MBP (15" Late 2011)

Reaction score
I just recently installed a SSD into my 13" Early 2011 MBP. I have upgraded to the 15" Late 2011 MBP and I wanted to know if I could take out my SSD from my 13" into my 15". Is it that simple to just do that? Would it work?

I read a few articles stating if it has been the new MBP 2012, the drivers and graphics wouldn't be compatible. Theoretically, I think it would work but I don't want to try and mess anything up.

Also, would my old HDD from my 13" (320GB Transcend) work in my 15" MBP if I was to just plug it in?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
If you want to use ssd or hdd from 13 to 15 mbp, the best bet would be clone the 15 to either your hd or ssd and go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You might have hardware compatibility issues, and it could possibly not even start up from boot screen depending on what updates have been completed on the new old 15". You'll just have to see check it out yourself. It won't harm anything by simply swapping and investigating it. Though, best bet is to do a fresh install and transfer the old data via backups. Don't clone the disk if you want a 100% reliable installation from the get-go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.