Stop Lion from Remembering Everything

Reaction score
Hi All,

One of the things which has been driving me absolutely nuts is Lion's memory. For example, I use TextEdit to keep some notes as my day proceeds along. At the end of the day, I CMD+Q to quit, and instead of prompting me to save the file (which I'd opt not to do), the program just quits. Then, when I restart, it opens up right where I left off.

This was cute for about five seconds, but now it's downright annoying as, whenever I open TextEdit, it opens up a bunch of files that I don't want to open and have never saved.

And it's not just TextEdit. It happens with Smultron, Espresso, and others as well.

When I launch an app, I don't care what it has in memory from my last session; I want it to start fresh, clean, new, empty. I want to dive into whatever task I have in front of me, not waste time clearing away unwanted windows or close files I didn't want to open in the first place.

So, with all due humility, and after months of trying to "get used to it," I must now turn to you all, my peers on Mac-Forums, to ask this question:

Short of switching back to Windows, is there any way to turn off this horrid feature?

Thanks,

Z

C

chas_m

Pay more attention to the shutdown/restart message:

Shutdown%20Startup.png

GeneralControlPanel.png

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
I think we might be on different versions of OSX. I'm on 10.7.4. This is my General pane:

screenshot20121007at100.png

As you can see, I don't have "Restore windows when quitting" checked, nor do I ever take advantage of the "Reopen windows..." option when shutting down.

C

chas_m

Hmmm. I was going to say that on Lion you would uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps," but I see you've already done that.

Try this: instead of command-q to quit out of TextEdit, try option-command-q. That should stop it from Resuming (that's the feature you're not enamored of).

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
No dice on Option-Command-Q. It still resumes (but thanks for the vocabulary tip).

The only thing that stops it is to individually close each window, choose not to save (repetitively), and after all the windows are finally closed, then quit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.