Can I .. With Apple TV

Reaction score
Earth, the planet next to Mars and near the Moon
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Santa Rosa) 250GB HD, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 8x SuperDrive
OK I want to get an Apple TV.
Currently I have a Macbook Pro, iPhone 4S and a Windows Desktop
I live in an dorm type house with "housemates" with wired and wifi.

My configuration is as followed. I have one HD monitor connected to my Windows Desptop on LAN (wired internet), iPhone and Macbook on Wifi. and when I get the Apple TV i will hook it up via Wifi.

before I buy I want to know if I am able to do a few things.
So can I........

• Play movies from my windows desktop on my Apple TV
  • Switch my HD monitor between viewing my windows Desktop and my Macbook (will be connecrted over HDMI so audio will be via HDMI also)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) You can play the movies from your Windows desktop as long as they are in iTunes and are an ATV compatible format. Go to Apples ATV page and look under Tech Specs to see what formats the ATV will play/stream.

2) Assuming that the monitor allows multiple HDMI hookups and can switch between modes then you should be able to. You'll need to get the HDMI converter cable to hook up to your Macbook Pro.

OP
anonymust
Reaction score
Earth, the planet next to Mars and near the Moon
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Santa Rosa) 250GB HD, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 8x SuperDrive
2) Assuming that the monitor allows multiple HDMI hookups and can switch between modes then you should be able to. You'll need to get the HDMI converter cable to hook up to your MacBook Pro.

If I understood you correctly, I need to have my MacBook plugged into my monitor screen (via HDMI) at all times to display my laptop screen?...

So I cant lay in my bed with my laptop, watching a movie and "mirror" my screen (along with audio) over wifi to my monitor ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So I cant lay in my bed with my laptop, watching a movie and "mirror" my screen (along with audio) over wifi to my monitor ?

It all depends on how you want to do it and/or which MBP and OSX version you have.

If the video is in iTunes the AppleTV can play it wirelessly via HomeSharing. If it's not in iTunes you'll need to mirror your display.

To natively mirror you MBP it needs to be the early 2011 or newer model running Mountain Lion.

If it's not you can get Air Parrot which gives you similar functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Air Parrot works, but not all that well IMO.

As previously stated, you need to have a relatively new Macbook Pro to do the mirroring natively (I actually forgot about mirroring when I replied earlier).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.