• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

idvd lost when upgraded to Lion

Reaction score
hello all,
can anyone help please, I have recently upgraded to lion in order to be able to upgrade to iMovie 11 having recently purchased anew HD camera (thats another story), however after many hours of mastering converters I have been able to complete a movie project and then attempted to open IDVD to burn it, only to find IDVD will no longer work, I have tried reinstalling it from my original disks which were installation disks rather than Ilife package. Unfortunately this has not worked, does anyone have any suggestions. The disks i have are Mac osx installation disks 1 and 2.
If anyone can guide me through reinstalling can it be really simple please, alternatively will I be able to install it from a disk purchased from ebay or amazon, I dont really want to do this as I have bought imovie 11 already.
all suggestions welcome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Supposedly it will work if you get the retail boxed copy of iLife '11. However, iDVD is no longer supported by Apple and is effectively "End of Life". It may be best to look into alternatives going forward.
ilife - Where is iDVD on Lion? - Ask Different

BTW... just to be clear, you upgraded to Lion, not Mountain Lion?

C

chas_m

My copy of iDVD stayed right where it was through both the upgrade to Lion and to Mountain Lion, and it continues to work as normal.

Reaction score
May I add to this with a follow up question. I have a late 11 macbook pro bought in 2012 it runs on Lion version 10.7.5. I have a project on iMovie that wants to be burned to DVD for my Mum. The help section of the iMovie points me to iDVD but its not on my pro anywhere. How can I burn a DVD she will be able to play in her player without iDVD to convert the project.

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really should start a new thread rather than tagging on to an old one. However, since iDVD is no longer available from Apple you can use the free "Burn" application which can be downloaded from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.