iMac Disk Repair/Rebuild/Restore from Time Machine

Reaction score
My 2007 iMac is giving me fits. It will not come up after reboot. I have used Tech Tool 6 to boot up and after running tools, get a Validation Error in an Allocation File (bitmap).
I am running Mountain Lion but did not have a boot disk for that OS, so I used my Lion OS USB disk to access the disk utility. All efforts to repair failed.
I have a complete Time Machine backup on an external drive, but the restore option does not see it.

Any input would be appreciated :Cool:

Terry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't understand why you didn't use the Recovery partition within Mountain Lion to do the repairs? Neither Lion nor Mountain Lion are on disk - and yes, you can create a boot disk for either, but you can also use the Recovery partition. (command + r)

If all efforts to repair the hard drive have failed, it may be time to replace the drive. But before you go that route, try using Disk Utility from the Mountain Lion Recovery partition first. If that also fails, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the step by step instructions for changing out the hard drive. Not an easy task in an iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.